Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Is CK suitable for big ANs that also push braintem?
an-stl
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:02 PM

Hi Doctor,

I was recently diagnosed with a 2-2.6 cm AN (depending on which doctors I talked to).  All three ENT doctors I saw strongly recommended translab surgery mainly based on "Tumor is big and pushing the brainstem.  Radiation might cause damage to the brainstem and also it would be very difficult to remove the tumor once radiation fails to stop the tumor growth".  What would be your recommendation?

Thanks so much! 

radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:24 PM

Each case requires individual consideration, but for tumors less than 3 cm we usually just do radiosurgery. With larger tumors, we usually do a suboccipital craniotomy and get out as much tumor as we can without causing cranial nerve damage, and then follow that with radiosurgery. It is not surprising that ENT surgeons recommend surgery. But this is likely treatable with radiosurgery with less risk. Let the nearest CK center with AN experience take a look.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

an-stl
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:16 PM

Thanks, Dr. Medbery.  Another question is whether the AN-associated symptoms, such as headache, tinnitus, ear pressure (some pain?), and dizziness will go away after CK treatment.  If not as the tumor is still there, these symptoms will bother for life.  Are there any ways to relieve the symptoms?  Thanks again.

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:58 PM

Somw of the symptoms will go away, and some may not. Tinnitus particularly can hang around, although people tend to be less bothered by it as time goes by, or it diminishes. THe ear pressure and headache tend to go away but sometimes can come back with changes in pressure such as flying. A desire to get rid of the symptoms might make you want to consider surgery, and that is a reasonable consideration. BUt don't forget that the effects of surgery are also permanent in most cases. Go to ANA-USA and look at their surveys etc.

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Ellen
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 4:00 AM

Hello my name is Ellen. I want to know if anyone has tried Cyberknife for AN after surgery failure and Cyber knife failure. I want to try Cyber knife again vs. surgery. Thanks. Year of first surgery- Feb 5, 2007 – Left retrosigmoid craniectomy – endoscopic resection of left acoustic neuroma, cranioplasty. Size of tumor then – 3.5 cm. Radiation date &size of tumor then – April 2012, CP angle measures 13 mm in SI by 15 mm in AP by 12 mm in transverse dimension. The right CP angle structures and labyrinth are normal. Size now – CP angle measures 1.8 mm in AP by 1.5 cm in transverse by 1.3 cm in SI dimension. The right CP angle and skull base are normal.

Ellen Lynch
Ellen
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 4:01 AM

HAs anyone with AN tried surgery that failed, Cyber knife that failed and then cyber knife again and it was successful? Thanks-Ellen Lynch

Ellen Lynch
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 4:08 AM

Why are you convinced that the tumor is growing? I would be very concerned about making that diagnosis just on the basis of measurements such as you give. Measurements of these things is very prone to error

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...