Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
cyberknife for bone mets ?
bailey
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:44 AM

Hi ,Two years ago my mum had a mammogram and was found to have a very small tumour in her breast.It was removed and she was given radiotherapy,and was given the `all clear` .Unfortunately the Cancer has returned and in January 09 she was diagnosed with a tumour on her spine and was given further radiotherapy, since then she has had more bone mets to her ribs and pelvis.A few months ago ,she was started on a course of Chemotherapy ,and was re-scanned after 3 courses ,the chemo didn`t seem to be working and the cancer had spread to her lung and she now has a pleural effusion, there are also concerns about her liver.She has since been put on a different type of chemo to see if this one will help.I have read alot about cyberknife and think that it could help my Mum , but the Doctors haven`t even suggested cyberknife as an option ,( we`re in the UK ) So I would really appreciate any further info as to wether this would be suitable for her.Thankyou so much for your time.

Hi,

My Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 yrs ago ,it was a very small tumor and it was successfully treated ,she was given the all clear.Unfortunately the cancer has returned and what she thought was sciatica has turned out to be a tumor on her spine.It is in the middle of her bac k ,I`m afraid I don`t know which vertebrae,but the doctors have told her it is inoperable.She has recently had 10 sessions of radiotherapy.I just wanted to know if she coul

radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:19 AM

CK could be used for palliative treatment if there is disease in the spine that grows despite previous radiation. It will not be curative.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Dr. J
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:48 AM

Might be helpful and worth a look.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
CyberKnife Center of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

Karen Ross
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:22 AM

I don't know if I have done this correctly but here goes. Is CK only available to people with bone mets that have been previously radiated or is it also for previously unradiated mets. Also is there a size limitation?
Karen Ross
radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:01 PM

It is good for either, but in some cases insurance will nly pay when there has been previous radiation.

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...