Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Rectal Cancer Patient
JEV
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:23 PM

Last January 2008, my father was diagnosed with rectal cancer. The location was around 5cm from the anus. He was treated with chemotherapy and IMRT in preparation for a surgery until late last year and thus the tumor was reduced to 5% of the original size; but he did not allow any surgery to be performed since he doesn't like a colostomy bag.

He is willing to submit to any kind of treatment as long as he can avoid the colostomy bag. According to his oncologist, with his last CT scan (Oct 2009), the tumor is now blocking his entire colon, lymph nodes are existent, but still no mets. Right now, he's undergoing chemotherapy again.

Is CK an option for him?

Thank you in advance, my most sincere gratitude.

Arturo Villanueva

Manila, Philippines
ajvillanueva@pcloutsourcing.com

radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:10 AM

No, CK can't be used for this. Chemotherapy is his only real option at this point.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

JEV
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:50 AM

Hi Dr Medbery,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. We'll just resort back to chemotherapy and IRMT.

Hoping for the best.

Arturo Villanueva

Manila, Philippines
ajvillanueva@pcloutsourcing.com

jcdadeo
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 1:08 PM

I have reocurrence of rectal cancer tumor 2.5 yrs after the first surgery, my Surgen says to new tumor is attached to the pelvis and surgery would be very difficult/complicated. he does not want to do it, my oncologist says surgery is necessary, not chemo can CK be used for this tumor?

james copland
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 5:02 AM

Possibly. We would need to know a lot more about the exact anatomy of what is going on. But we have successfully treated a number of pre-sacral recurrences if that is what this is. I would suggest getting your scans to the nearest Ck center and let them take a look.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Sunny
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:39 AM

Hi, my father recently has been diagnosed with rectal cancer which is approximately 4cm above the anus. He has had 28 time radiotherapy with Xeloda chemotherapy. This process has been finished 3 weeks ago and he has to wait for the surgery in 3 weeks. The doctors informed us about the possibility of colonostomy in Surgery. I wonder if CK will help to avoid colonostomy Surgery.
radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:13 AM

No. He needs the surgery. THey will avoid colostomy if possible, but it is sometimes necessary. In his case it is pretty likely. Men have narrower pelvises than women and it is harder to get things put back together that low

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

bhollen76
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:43 AM

I think after doing the surgery his condition will getting better. I came across this report today - http://www.fastmr.com/prod/320394_venous_thromboembolism_vte_therapeutics_pipeline.aspx
Epope
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 10:27 AM

I had rectal polyps that were removed by endoscopic mucosal resection in 2010. It was villas adenamois with high grade dysplasia. I have had ongoing care for regrowth over the years. In Dec 2016 they found a 5cm tumors outside rectal wall, growing under tail bone. Biopsies have said suspicious for cancer and no cancer anywhere else. Would the cyber knife be able to remove the tumor?

Ellen

Jump to different Forum...