Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Non-Hodg Lymphoma, CK, Neuropathy
MLE1377
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:35 AM

My father is 60 years old. In 1998 at 48yrs old he was diagnosed with his first brain tumor, non hodg lymphoma high grade B cell... Due to the location it was deemed in- operable, CK was not an option 12 yrs ago. He received chemo and radiation to "shrink" the tumors. It worked and he was in remission. In 2006 he was diagnosed with a stage 3 stomach tumor (was told it was not related to the brain tumor) treated with chemo. In 2008 another brain tumor, this was operated on using traditional surgery followed by chemo. Jan 2010 another brain tumor developed, was scheduled for the CK but the pressure on the brain was to severe and they had to operate right away, followed by chemo. He developed neuropathy from the steroids to control swelling, that has caused him to not be able to walk. In April 2010 more lymphoma developed and the doctors were very optimistic about going after this one with the CK it has been a little over a month since the CK procedure, he had to stop the chemo as he is weak, tired, depressed and chemo would wipe him out completely. He is currently in a VA facility in Providence RI as insurance would no longer cover his stay in the Physical Therapy facility because he was not making enough progress with the neuropathy. We are told the neuropathy is reversible, but he needs to do PT, and he is not doing the PT or very little because he is tired weak and depressed. They have tried several depression meds and he is on a page worth of other meds. It is now just a waiting game, he had an MRI a couple of days ago and there are no "new" lesions (good thing) After everything he has been through this is the first time he seems to not have the ambition to get better, we are told (a)he could be experiencing a side effect to the CK he he might just need time to rest and heal, (b) the ck did not work and the lesion is still there, (c) his body is saying enough and we should consider hospice. We are looking for any insite to what else we can do as we are holding onto option (a) as it is the most positive. My dad was once very strong mentally and physically and he does still have some physical strength, and aside from the cancer he has always been very healthy. We are currently trying to get his Va benefits increased as we have learned that Lymphomas are service related. I thank you in advance for any info you can share.
Emily
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:05 PM

I think it is mainly a question of whether he is willing to put in the work. After all he has ben through, that is a difficult thing to do. New things keep coming up, and he probably feels a little bit like Charlie Brown getting ready to kick the football Lucy is holding. While his depression is understandable, only exercise will help this. Hopefully he will come to see that.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

MLE1377
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:03 PM

Thank you. I guess we are just hoping for reassurment that he will pull through this. I forgot to mention that after this last procedure (with the CK) he has slowly begun to lose his ability to speak clearly, it's very quiet and mumbled and often gets irritated if you can't understand him, he is talking less and less. Is it possible that his brain needs to rest, or should we go by the idea of "if you don't use it you lose it?" We just feel that no one has any answers for us...

Emily
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 4:13 AM

THe speech thing is something we would have to see and listen to to explain. But there is no such thing as your brain needing a rest in order to recover from tumor treatment. I'm not sure I would say “use it or lose it', but clearly the more you use it the better it works.

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

MLE1377
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:53 AM

Thank you again.