Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Plasmacytoma- Left Sacrum
MTS
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:54 AM

I am a 54 year old American woman who lives in central Mexico. I was just diagnosed with a Plasmacytoma, located at my left sacrum.  It is approximately 5x4.3 cm in size and is located at levels S1, S2 and S3.

We have been advised that this tumor will respond well to general/standard radiation treatments.  I have a history of extreme sensitivity to chemicals and toxins in general. I believe that if I was radiated in the standard way, the collateral effects might prove to be problematic (plus bladder and rectal effects).

I do have MRI, CT  Scan and Pet Scan images, extensive blood work and a biopsy of the tumor.

I am interested in knowing if CyberKnife is an option for me.

Thank you.

Maria

radsrus
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 4:48 AM

Standard radiation would probably be our choice. Often it will not be covered by insurance if standard radiation has not been tried. Radiation can produce side effects but this is unrelated to chemical sensitivities

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

MTS
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for your reply.
As it turns out, I may be able to get CK covered under my insurance policy. If this is the case, and the tumor is treatable with CK, wouldn’t be far less damaging to the tissues and the organs that would be exposed to the EBRT
?  (external beam radiation therapy).

Do I understand this correctly? Will the CK treatment significantly reduce my exposure to radiation?  Does it help avoid serious collateral problems in people who have a potential for a negative reaction to radiation?

Thank you,
Maria

radsrus
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 10:43 AM

It has pluses and minuses. It probably has a higher risk of damaging nerves, but less damage to the tissues surrounding the sacrum. You are at no more risk of adverse effects than anyone else.

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

MTS
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 11:00 AM

Thank you again.