Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Liver Mets - Colon Cancer
DD121
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 3:44 PM

Hello everyone, about 2 years ago my brother (46 yo) was diagnosed with Colorectal cancer that had spread to the liver and lungs. He had surgery to remove both the colon and liver tumors. He then started on Chemo for the Lungs. The Docs felt that the tumor in the Lungs were too small to do anything with and we were told that Colon cancer in the lungs is very slow growing. Well, anyway, after approx 4 months, the cancer reappeared in the Liver (same area as original) which was sucessfully removed via RFA. He then went back on Chemo (inrino, avastin & cetuximab) for over a year and was stabile in the Lungs (less than 1 cm?) and no regrowth in the Liver. His oncologist felt that since was stabile for awhile, he recommend that my brother should take a Chemo "holiday" for 3 months then be scanned. Well, after about 8 weeks, we saw his CEA level rise from less than 5 to just above16. Needless to say, his oncologist put him back on Chemo prior to the scan. On scan day, it was revealed that a single tumor had grown back on his Liver, approximately 4.9 cm, right next to where he had the RFA. The intervational Doc said that because of the size & shape (thin but long), he was not able to RFA it. His advice was either try and shrink it a bit in order to RFA, or use the spheres.To make matters worse, the scans revealed 2 pulmonary embolizations in his Lungs and he had to be put on blood thinners. This has all happened in the past few days. Now his oncologist is telling him that he can no longer take the Avastin due to the clotting so we are concerned that the Chemo will not shrink the liver. To be honest, the chemo has never really shrank the tumors, it only kept them at bay so to think the Chemo will now shrink them is questionable. All along , the docs keep telling us that his problems are with the liver and he can live for a long time with the issues in his lung which they classify as 2 small tumors and scattered debis????Do you think he fits the profile for CK?  Thanks! 

radsrus
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 6:16 AM

CK could probably be used for the liver, but the only way to know for sure is to look at the scans and records. Let the nearest CK center take a look.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

DD121
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 5:15 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. We are going to pursue the CK possibility. Will the fact that he has nodules in his lungs have any bearing on wheather or not they are able to perform the CK on his liver?
radsrus
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 5:42 PM

It is a factor to be considered, and the amount of lung disease is important

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

DD121
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 9:09 PM

Update - Its been a month since the tumor re-appeared on his liver. He has been undergoing chemo and his CEA droppped from 16 down to 8.5. He is taking Lovenox on a daily basis for the embolizations. The tumors in the lungs and liver have stabilized. Though the tumor on the liver hasn't grown, the Inter Radiologist thinks its still to big to ablate. His Oncologist and all the Docs suggest that he continue on chemo for the next 2 months then scan. Also, even though his CEA has dropped, his ALT has risen from 32 to 82 in the past 6 weeks. A few questions - should we be alarmed at this point with the rise in the ALT? Would you continue with this plan of chemo or have a procedure such as Cyberknife performed?  Does Memorial Sloan Kettering in NY offer the Cyberknife?  Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:17 PM

How big is the liver tumor now? How many lung tumors? How big are they?

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

DD121
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:16 PM

I believe the liver is around 2.7 CM. It is right next to the area where they did an ablation so they say it is difficult to tell the exact size because of the marking left from ablation. As for the lungs, there are 2 or 3 defiined tumors all below 2 CM's. They classify his lungs as scattered metasis with the 3 defined tumors. I cant find anything anywhere that mentions ablut Sloan Kettering offering Cyberknife but was told by a family friend that they did? Is this true? Thanks.

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:57 AM

Sounds like treatment would be feasible. It would be a little complicated. Different CK centers have different philosophies on how to treat metastatic disease. I would start with the nearest one and see what they say. If you don't get the answer you want, let me know.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

SchoolBoardLady
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 7:57 AM

Fellow Cyberknifers: Feeling pretty good about the results of my May Cyberknife treatment for one liver met in the diffiucult to reach Caudate lobe of my liver. It popped up 6 mos. after colon/liver mets surgery in June 2012. CT scan results today show no new growth and tumor is being absorbed. I never doubted the Cyberknife, I just hoped 'no new lesions". My met was about 3.5 --4.0 cm by the time I was able to receive treatment. Right now, the Cyberknife treatment center here at Norfolk General Hospital, Norfolk VA is working over-time to accommodate so many patients like myself who refused any more chemo. I searched for "local' treatment instead of systematic treatment. I had four pre-op and five post op cycles of FOLOFX and it was ROUGH. Cyber knife resulted in about 5 days of slight nausea after the third of five fractional treatments. Otherwise, it seemed like 'fake' treatment due to 'no side-effects." Blood work was perfect and showed 'no rise in liver enzymes". Cyberknife is truly a miracle and no more expensive than the additional 7 FOLFOX cycles my medical oncologist recommended. Thank God my surgeon who heads up the tumor board at Sentara is not territorial, as he nominated me for the Cyberknife treatment. Dr. Marc Sinesi, Professor at Eastern Virginia Medical School, heads up the CyberKnife unit at Sentara--he is a genius and an amazing organizational leader--and a warm caring person.

margaretmcintyre
Bastaki
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:30 AM

Hi, My Father was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 4 with mets to the liver. He has not received at surgery and has been on chemo for about 2 years with "chemo" holidays in the middle. I am not sure about how many legions he has in the liver but his CAT states that his tumors are shrinking. His doctor states that right now we can not pursue any other treatment other than chemo. He also takes Levonox every day as there is a clot near his port. His Cat states that Further mild improvement in the live metastases. Markers: Segment five 5.0 cm (previous 5.0 cm) Segment seven 4.5 cm (previous 5.0 cm) Can something be done by the CK? If not would you recommend any other treatment. hoping to receive an early reply regarding this matter. Thanking you, Mr. Saein

Hi, My Father was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 4 with mets to the liver. He has not received at surgery and has been on chemo for about 2 years with "chemo" holidays in the middle. I am not sure about how many legions he has in the liver but his CAT states that his tumors are shrinking. His doctor states that right now we can not pursue any other treatment other than chemo. He also takes Levonox every day as there is a clot near his port. His Cat states that Further mild improvement in
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 4:58 AM

It would depend on the specifics of the anatomy and the number of liver tumors and the amount of liver that is unaffected. Someone with CK experience in treating liver tumors would need to take a look. I would suggest getting hold of the nearest Ck center for their advice

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Saein
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 5:11 AM

How many Tumors should one person have in order to be considered for the CK treatment. Thanking you, Mr. Saein

Hi, My Father was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 4 with mets to the liver. He has not received at surgery and has been on chemo for about 2 years with "chemo" holidays in the middle. I am not sure about how many legions he has in the liver but his CAT states that his tumors are shrinking. His doctor states that right now we can not pursue any other treatment other than chemo. He also takes Levonox every day as there is a clot near his port. His Cat states that Further mild improvement in

Jump to different Forum...