Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Grandmother, 85 Years Old, Unresectable, Has Not Metastasized
Anarel
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:23 AM

Recently my 85 year old Grandmother was diagnosed with Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma.

Surgery is not an option given her age and weight: she has lost twenty-five pounds over the last year. The tumor, measuring 2.5 x 1.8 cm in size at the time of the MRI taken last month, is unresectable given vessel involvement, and is located in the body of the pancreas.

The good news, I think, is that it has not metastasized to any other areas or organs.

Is Cyberknife, perhaps in conjunction with intravenous Gemzar chemotherapy a good plan of action? My grandmother's oncologist was unaware that CyberKnife could be done on tumors other than those in the brain, and wants to start her on Chemo next week, and it will of course take time to set up a consultation for the Cyberknife procedure.

Thank you.

radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:22 PM

She is an excellent candidate for CK. She can start the Gemzar and then take a drug break when she get the CK treatment.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Anarel
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:56 AM

Thank you. A bit more information that I wasn't aware of previously; on her left adrenal gland, there a 1.9 cm lesion... the report stated that it was suspicious of metastatic involvement, but that more could not be known without a contrast-enhanced MRI or CT...

Might that have an effect on her candidacy for CyberKnife? I looked through the reports and nothing else was deemed suspicious.

radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:30 PM

I would get a PET scan. If there is metastatic disease in the adrenal or elsewhere, then CK of the pancreas would not be of significant value in all probability.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Anarel
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:28 PM

Back again. Went to Sloane-Kettering two days ago... just for a second opinion, another doctor's thoughts. The doctor said that based upon the information she had at the time- the Cat Scan and MRI information- that she wasn't convinced that the cancer had metastasized. She told us to get a cat scan (or was it MRI?) of my Grandmother's chest to check her lungs, and we will do that in the next few days. My grandmother just had her second dose of Gemzar chemo yesterday; only Gemzar, alone. She has not experienced any nausea or any adverse effects at all, though she's probably not receiving a full dose due to her age and weight... I asked about the possibility of a PET scan, but the doctor said something about my grandmother's kidney function.... some kind of levels being too high prohibited that scan being done. Is there any other kind of test that can be done to see if the cancer is spreading? Thank you!
radsrus
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 3:16 AM

CT is the best under the circumstances

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Anarel
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:26 PM

Back once again.

Just got a PET cat scan last week. My grandmother's tumor grew a centimeter, but the cancer has not metastasized to anywhere else. No tumors or anything suspicious anywhere else, thank god.

The thing about the growth, in comparison to a regular cat scan and mri taken in May is that, after the scan, there was  a month and... a half in time before she started Chemotherapy.... our oncologist said that the growth could have occurred during that time. He also said that it could have been dead cells building up or scar tissue or something like that.

Does that sound right at all? I was hoping that the lack of spread to any other areas or organs means that Gemzar is working.

We went to a Cyberknife center and the doctor there said that my grandmother would be a good candidate after she completed her first round of chemo, and after she had a PET cat scan.

Is the Cyberknife procedure, in conjunction with additional chemotherapy, worth it in this situation?

Thank you.

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:46 AM

Gemzar is more effective at improving quality of life and extending it somewhat than at actually shrinking the tumor, so this is no surprise. It might very well be worth treating this with CK. Contact the newest center to get an opinion.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

HannahForever
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 1:17 AM

Hi Anarel, did you go for Cyberknife? How did it went....
HannahForever
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 1:19 AM

HannahForever
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 1:21 AM

Jump to different Forum...