Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
CCA Hilar Tumor
David Springer
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:47 AM

I was diagnosed CCA 15 months ago with intrahepatic tumor 6-7 cm shrunk to 5cm via 4x cycles of Gem/Cis then removed via resection followed by 4X cycles Gem/Cis. Two weeks are recurrence was confirmed with a 1-1.5 cm tumor in the Hilum deemed inoperable. I am receiving 4x cycles of Gem/Cis with another MRI due in September to see if the tumor can be re-staged. I tolerate Chemo well with minimal side-effects, some LFT issues but no treatment interruption, mildly neutropenic (neulasta resolves). I hold my most recent CT, PET and MRI (liver contrast) scans. Is it possible that CK would be suitable if another liver resection is not? Does the UK have enough experience and data on CK, it is not widely used technology here? Where is the best CK treatment and advice available (any country)? Thank you, Dave Springer
Dave Springer
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:45 PM

CK might be a real possibility. It is less dependent on anatomy than surgery or RFA. I don't know how many cases of liver tumors they have done one the UK. They have just recently treated the 100th patient, so it is probably not many. Planning and treating liver tumors is one of the hardest CK tasks, so experience is important here. YOu might want to contact one of the European centers that has been using CK longer, such as Munich or Rotterdam.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

David Springer
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 5:49 AM

Thank you for this reply Dr Medbery, it confirms what I thought of the UK's limited CK experience. If you are further able to propose a CK centre in either Munich or Rotterdam, or any European country's centre where you may know they have the best experience with liver tumors, I am most grateful. Many thanks - David Springer

Dave Springer
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:44 PM

Both of those centers are very good

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101