Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
benign parotid tumour
cyber62
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 7:34 PM

i'm a 62 year old male diagnosed with a benign parotid tumour in august 2009 by fna.a visit to a second ent in november 2010,followed by a catscan,confirmed the original diagnosis.i consulted a 3rd ent in august 2011.once again,same diagnosis.all 3 recommended surgery as the only option.i recently found cyberknife online,and contacted a 4th ent that is familiar with this.but he recommended surgery as well,stating that cyberknife worked best with cancerous tumours and could cause side effects.said i should have it removed asap,as its been present for many years,has enlarged,and could become malignant.as i understand it,cyberknife has been applied to both cancerous and non cancerous tumours everywhere in the body,including head and neck.its an option for patients unable or unwilling to undergo standard surgery.thats me.but every ent i have contacted(4)all opt for surgery-even the last one who is familiar with cyberknife.as my options have pretty much run out,and my blue cross insurance probably won't cover non standard surgery for parotid tumours either in my state(massachusetts)or anywhere else,what are my options?isanyone else out there in a similiar situation?any help in resolving this would be most appreciated.i'm running out of time as well as treatment options and financial options.

radsrus
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:57 AM

There is very little experience in treating benign parotid tumors with CK, and none published that I know of. I frankly agree that this should be treated surgically

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

radsrus
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:58 AM

There is very little experience in treating benign parotid tumors with CK, and none published that I know of. I frankly agree that this should be treated surgically

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

cyber62
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:03 AM

i see cyberknife use for virtually every cancerous and non cancerous tumour other than parotid.why is this?the parotid is probably the most accessible area of the body to treat with cyberknife,yet virtually no mention is made of it.surgery is very extensive and complicated,and its one not many people want to undergo.and this is one of the reasons for the cyberknife option-to avoid invasive surgery and all the complications involved with it.isn't there anyone here on the forums who has had cyberknife treatment for parotid tumours-benign or cancerous???

cyber62
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:15 PM

cyber62
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:15 PM

cyber62
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:21 PM

although cyberknife claims to be able to treat virtually all tumours-both cancerous and non cancerous,including head and neck,it needs to clarify this claim.evidently parotid tumours are not included.the conventional ent surgeon will only recommend surgery,regardless of the patient's needs or desires,contrary to ck claims.its do or die-that simple.

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:20 AM

As I explained to you privately, there are ethical concerns. In a case where there is an established treatment that is known to be both effective and fairly safe, you have to decide ethically whether to apply a treatment that has unknown results. I have little doubt that CK would take care of this tumor, but I don't KNOW that, and don't know for sure that it would not cause problems with the facial nerve or other structures. As I see it, there are three ethical reasons to treat a patient: 1. You are using a treatment that has been established as safe and effective 2. You are treating on an investigational protocol which requires informed consent and collects data to extend the abilities of doctors in the future, with the patient knowing full well that it is investigational (experimental) 3. You are treating in a situation where the treatment does not have an established track record for safety and efficacy, but the patient is not able to have conventional treatment because of other medical problems (humanitarian exception). There may be centers that are willing to treat you, and I am not absolutely certain that we would not treat you, depending on the reason for your desire not to have surgery. But if that reason is related to something such as fear of facial nerve damage, then I would go to some lengths to point out to you that we don't know what the effects on the facial nerve and muscles for chewing if we treat with CK. I know you are fearful of the consequences of surgery, but in good hands the risks are minimal. You should also be fearful of the consequences of CK, since they are unknown.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

cyber62
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:34 AM

regardless of the pros and cons of ck treatment of a parotid tumour,conventional surgery is no guarantee for the successful treatment,regardless of the competency and skill of  the surgeon.plus add into this the discomfort of invasive surgery and all the attendent issues involved.there are many cases of recurrence after surgery,not to mention the need for radiosurgery after the initial surgery.my point.why go through the stress and fear of conventional surgery,including the discomfort with general anesthesia,when the outcome may be the same?theres no guarantee of 100%success either way,but conventional surgery adds uneccessary stress to an already stressful situation.even non invasive or miniminally invasive surgery would be preferable to several hours on an operating room table.but to go back to my original point-ck should clarify its benefits much more clearly in regards to what it can treat and what its uncertain about.and isn't the patient's needs,concerns,and fears,rational or otherwise,to be taken into account here?this is another one of ck claims-to give the patient non surgical options.

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:53 AM

I am unaware of any literature or publication or web hosting that says that CK is the treatment for all tumors in all situations. If I were you, i would start approaching CK centers and get their opinion directly.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

cyber62
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:20 AM

if theres any question regarding my statements,its all right here on cyberknife.what it can treat and what it can't.it pretty much specifies ALL body tumours-BOTH CANCEROUS AND NON CANCEROUS,INCLUDING HEAD&NECK,WHICH IS THE PAROTID TUMOUR  AREA,AS WELL AS AN OPTION FOR PATIENTS WHO PREFER NON INVASIVE PROCEDURES.nowhere does it claim it can't treat parotid tumours specifically.and nowhere does it state that if surgery is the only option recommended,the patient can't opt for alternate ck treatment.as i clearly stated,and totally understand,both standard surgery and ck aren't perfect-but if its a choice of non perfection without surgery,or after undergoing surgery with general anesthesia,dealing with a drain,days before having to go back for stitches to be removed,and possible recurrence,its a no brainer what option i'd take.but the medical proffession is a closed shop,at least in this area.THE CENTRAL POINT IS,THE PATIENT'S WISHES AND DESIRES CONCERNING SURGERY,EITHER VALID OR INVALID(THIS IS IN THE EYES OF THE PHYSICIAN)SHOULD BE RESPECTED AND FIGURED INTO THE TREATMENT PROCESS.IT SHOULDN'T SIMPLY BE A CASE OF-DO IT OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:01 AM

THe patient's desires are taken into account. They are just not the only consideration. I personally don't find anything in the descriptions of CK capabilities that is incorrect or misleading, although I will point out that I did not write it and am not responsible for it. I am a physician who specializes in CK treatment and who volunteers his time to try to answer questions here. I am not a representative of Accuray or any other company. As I have said previously, others may feel differently about treating you and you are free to pursue that avenue in the manner you find most comfortable.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

cyber62
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:22 AM

being free to explore alternative options is of no use-if no so called medical proffessionals give you other options-except take it or leave it.i'm literally painted into a corner called surgery.take it or leave it.what are my other so called"options"other than taking it or leaving it?as i can only state one more time emphatically-if ck cannot treat parotid tumours,which are one of the most common tumours of the body-head,neck,or otherwise-then it should state this very clearly.leave no room for doubt.tell the patient there are no alternatives to being sliced&diced,then still possibly facing other issues.quite frankly,i'm very surprised that,with all the views of this dialogue,there are no others in the same quandary as me.no one with the experience of having no other options besides surgery regarding a benign parotid tumour,which as i stated,are very common.

cyber62
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:27 AM

cyber62
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:35 AM

with all the progress and medical breakthroughs of the last 10 years or more,its nothing short of amazing that a benign parotid tumour can still only be treated via standard surgery!!!there are so many conditions in the body that can be and are treated with non invasive or miniminally evasive methods, including  cancer and many others too numerous to mention.yet a parotid tumour can only be treated surgically.kind of like drawing blood still has not progressed beyond being injected with a needle while cataracts can be burned away with a laser!!!truth is surely stranger than fiction!!!

pboyers
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 5:40 AM

I am a 60 year old female and have had 3 previous surgeries to remove mixed paranoid benign tumors. I now have another reoccurrence and the last surgery left my right lower jaw slightly slacked. I am very fearful of a fourth surgery and that it will leave the right side of my face paralyzed. I have no insurance and am desperate to find a solution other than traditional surgery. I was hoping that ck might be a solution to not only less chance of further facial nerve damage and just as important to me, not to “seed” the are again for a reoccurrence.  Any suggestions?

pboyers
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:43 PM

Anyone?
radsrus
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 7:09 AM

You don't say what type of tumor it is but we might advise surgery that is incomplete and radiation to complete the treatment, but not CK

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...