Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
C7-T1 tumor/cyst after MVA
Julie8
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:45 PM

I am a 25 year old female. I was rear-ended in a car accident on June 18, 2011, and since then I've had a lot of related health issues, one of them is pain, numbness, and muscle spasm in the right side of my neck, right upper back, and right arm. The arm was not involved in the accident, so my neurologist suspected nerve involvement. He gave me a medicine (Neurontin aka Gabapentin) which is used for nerve related problems, and this helps a lot with my neck/back/arm issues, especially the arm. The fact that the meds work proves nerve involvement, but the only thing that shows up on my MRI is a large C7-T1 tumor or cyst on the right side. My questions are: (1) Will a MRI with contrast determine what this is (schwanomma tumor or fluid filled cyst)? B/c from my MRI without contrast, this is not clear. (2) If this is a schwanomma, does it make sense that it would become symptomatic after a MVA? Or more likely do I have a nerve stretch injury from the MVA and the schwannoma is asymptomatic? (3) I've had the consult with a neurosurgeon and the only way for him to go in and remove the tumor he would have to chip away some of my vertebrae to get at the tumor, then once he's removed it he would put metal plates/screws in my neck to make sure my spine is not unstable. This sounds horrible to me! I don't want screws in my spine. Would CyberKnife be a possible alternative treatment? Thanks so much for your help.

Jump to different Forum...