Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Can you modify the Gamma Knife, linear accelerators, CT and X ray machines to magnify one micron in the brain?
Nicholas Lee
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 1:25 AM

Can you modify the Gamma Knife, linear accelerators, CT and X ray machines to magnify one micron in the brain? If you made adjustments or modified the Gamma Knife machine that specializes in targeting brain tumours, and other steriotactic radiosurgery machines like linear accelerators, CT scanners and X ray machines. Could these external beam radiation machines focus, or magnify a area in the brain to see something the size of one micron to 100 microns. A neuron in the human brain is one micron in size to 100 microns in size. If with todays technology it is not possible to adjust or modify any of these external beam radiation machines to see magnify a image to see a micron to 100 microns. Could the external radiation machines be specially built, modified and adjusted, and pushed to their limits to magnify and focus on a area in the brain 1000 to 10,000 or 40,000 microns in size. Can 1 micron to 40,000 microns in size only be seen under a microscope. If a external radiation machine could just see faintly a collection of neurons with the electro chemical signals passing through the dentrites, synapses, neurons and through the axons, it would give me a better understanding of the limits of the Gamma Knife, Cyber Knife and other external radiation machines. It would help me with my study of neurology too. Any information is helpful no matter how small. Thank you for your help with this question.
mary1951
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 1:39 AM

Mary1963
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 5:35 AM

Short answer - no. First, Gamma Knife does not do imaging, although that is changing. CK does imaging, but not at that level. We are dealing with millimeters, not microns. I think there are some experimental things for microbeams of radiation, but not for human treatment. And it would not matter anyway, because our ability to know what to target does not extend to microns sizes

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...