Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Small Cell Cancer
David Lantz
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 2:08 PM

My mother was diagnosed with small cell cancer in July 2011. Just a small nodule in the neck. Underwent traditional chemo and radiation treatments. Was NED in Oct. 2011. Was just diagnosed with reoccurant small cell cancer. A small nodule in the lower left lung and involvement of the lymph nodes in the medial stynum area. Her oncologists feel there is not much to offer except a defensive chemo treatment. Does CK have anything to offer ??
David Lantz
bijan
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:12 PM

one of the best freind of mine have had a adenocarcinoma of lung with invasion to pleura(brochieoalveolar type)she scheduled to operate but due to pleural invasion in frozen section the operation stopped.chemotherapy started for her since 45 days ago .is it possible to use CK to treat her. what about prognosis after ck treatment.She live in Iran what due you recommend and in which location she can treat well.
Dr Bijan Forogh MD.

radsrus
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 3:02 AM

Difficult to say without seeing the scans and records, it is likely that this is a good thing to treat with CK. CK is best used for tumors that are completely surrounded by normal lung, because the limits of the tumor become uncertain when the pleura is involved.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

bijan
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 7:42 AM

Thank you very much for your email.the border of tumor is well defined in CT scan and Pet and limited to left lower lobe(outer border about 56mm*45mm)The only abnormal finding intraoperatively was pleural invasion in frozen section.
radsrus
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 8:07 AM

When tumor involves the pleura, the border is not well defined, which is why they abandoned the surgery. CK could be an option in the future, but I would favor standard radiation right now.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

radsrus
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:12 AM

It may be well defined on imaging, but less so in reality. Tumor can spread along the pleura. In addition, this means that tumor cells have gained access tot he pleural space. I think this is best treated with chemotherapy and standard radiation with broader coverage of the area. But you should contact the nearest CK center to get their opinion, which might be different from mine.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

leeMarena
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:47 AM

My grandmother is suffering from this diseases, Can you help with the information about cisplatin or carboplatin.Is there something very serious regarding this treatment.
carpet cleaning company ryde

radsrus
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:36 PM

Can't give advice about chemotherapy. Sorry.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

pauljoz1
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:16 PM

I have two tumors one on the lung one on or in the lymph nodes I have had several scans my last having shown some shrinkage after my third round of tupotecan,I'm finished with the chemo.I believe the next move is radiation once again,I would much prefer to go this route if possible.I know as of now you wont take my current insurance wellcare ,but that doesn't mean I wont buy insurance that you will take.I also know there will not be another pet scan until mid January.So I guess the thing to do is call and see if I'm even a candidate to get this treatment!
DoveMed
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:19 AM

Good luck with your treatment....god bless.

At DoveMed , we believe in " health information for a better life" DoveMed.com

Jump to different Forum...