Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Cyberknife vs other stereotatic radiosurgery
waldrep
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:53 PM

Could you please help me understand the difference between cyberknife and other stereotatic radiosurgery. It seems that some hospitals have cyberknife and others have what they call stereotatic radiosurgery or something similar. I would assume that cyberknife is the newest, most high tech and does the least amount of damage to surrounding tissue in the lungs, but I am confused after talking to my oncologist and my thoracic surgeon. They indicate that they all do damage to surrounding tissue.
Waldrep
radsrus
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 3:29 AM

There are a number of machines that can perform radiosurgery/stereotactic body radiation therapy (SRS/SBRT). Most modern accelerators are capable of it if the proper packages are installed. They vary somewhat in accuracy, but for most conditions accuracy is not the issue. The CyberKnife can track motion and we have shown internally that you get less normal lung tissue treated to potentially damaging doses with CyberKnife than with the other system we have that can do this stuff. But it takes 1.5 hours to treat each day. With the other system you can treat in just a few minutes. I think the difference in lung tissue is pretty important with larger tumors, but probably less so with smaller tumors. Used properly, either can be highly effective and safe.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

waldrep
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:24 AM

Thank you very much Dr. Medbery. Do you have an opinion on whether cyberknife or novalis would be a better choice to use on three nodules in right lung that measure 10mm, 8mm and 7mm-two are in upper lobe and one in lower lobe? Also, approximately how many treatments of cyberknife would be required to do all three? Thank you.
Waldrep
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:34 AM

In general, with smaller lesions there would be more lung sparing with CK. They are usually treated in three days each

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

waldrep
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:10 PM

Thank you Dr. Medbery

Waldrep
Jewel
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 3:22 PM

does cyberknife treatment allow a biopsy of the tumor that is in the lung? Or does it just destroy the tumor in the lung?

Jewel
radsrus
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 3:32 PM

Biopsy is a separate procedure. CyberKnife does not result in any incisions or other invasive procedure. Sometimes gold seeds must be placed, and some centers will do a biopsy at the same time

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
HannahForever
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 1:26 AM

CyberKnife is totally different from radiosurgery which involves advanced accelerators. With CyberKnife better motions are tracked and is highly effective and safe....

Jump to different Forum...