Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Small AN, Treat now or wait?
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:08 PM
Joined: 9/25/2013
Posts: 2

Hi All, I was diagnosed recently with a 3mm AN near my cochlea. My hearing is still good. My dilemma is deciding between watching or treating it now while it is still small. In general for small tumors next to the cochlea does anyone know what my chances for hearing preservation would be?
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:51 AM
Joined: 9/26/2013
Posts: 1

Hi, I am in exactly the same situation. I have a 3mm tumor near my cochlea also. I have read, that treating small tumors is better. But two neurotologist have wanted to "watch and observe" to see if it growing.
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:33 PM
Joined: 9/25/2013
Posts: 2

Most of my doctors have said to wait as well, due to its size. But now I'm finding out that I can lose my hearing even if it does not increase in size. I don't know why I wasn't told this before. I've been waiting since this June.
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:39 AM
Joined: 10/10/2008
Posts: 18

My understanding is that only enlargement of the AN would be the causation of any hearing impairment.
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:59 AM
Joined: 10/10/2008
Posts: 4435

Probably so but it may not be perceptible on scans


Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102


Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 7:43 PM
Joined: 8/17/2015
Posts: 1

I'd either treat now with Cyberknife or have it surgically removed now. I opted for Cyberknife - had mine treated in September of 2015 (3 days of treatment, 18 gray, St. Lukes in Houston). I had my second follow-up MRI in late December 2017, and the vestibular schwannoma is still growing. My hearing has been very good, but it's started to fall off and the tinnitus is like a freight train. My only regret is waiting six months before having the Cyberknife treatment - there is nothing to be gained by waiting as far as I am concerned.

Jump to different Forum...