Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Lung cancer spread to one adrenal gland
waldrep
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:25 AM

Dr. Medbery, I have had cancer in one lung for over three and a half years. It spread to the right adrenal gland about a year ago. That tumor has been stable in size at 2.4 x 1.5 cm through my scans in Sept. of this year. I was scanned on Dec 11 and it is now 3.3 x 2.5 cm. If my doctors agree that it would benefit me to take this tumor out of my adrenal gland, which do you think would be the better way to take it out: 1) surgery 2) cyberknife 3) novalis 4) some other stereotatic radiation. I am 62 years and in excellent health. Thank you
Waldrep
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:28 PM

Stereotactic treatment is certainly easier than surgery, and in our hands is quite effective. I have now way of judging the relative efficacy of CK versus other systems in this sort of case, but my guess is that the differences are relatively small.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

waldrep
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:19 PM

Dr. Medbery, Thank you very much for your response. I just noticed a post from 2009 where a lady had a 4 mm tumor and was advised that the accuracy of novalis is about 2 mm which meant that novalis could be off by 50% of the size of her tumor. The indication was that cyberknife would probably be more accurate in her case. Has novalis improved since 2009 or do you think that the larger size of my tumor would cause the difference in efficacy between novalis and cyberknife to be relatively small in my case (or some other reason)?

Waldrep
radsrus
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 3:00 AM

Treating a 4 mm tumor is quite different from treating a 3.3 cm tumor. Novalis and other such systems are better in some ways than they were then, but the main issue is the size of the tumor. Respiratory motion is even a bigger issue, but how big is dependent on the actual of the adrenal during breathing.

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

waldrep
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 6:06 AM

Thank you Dr. Medbery. Do you think that cyberknife generally deals with respiratory motion better than other stereotatic radiation?

Waldrep

Jump to different Forum...