Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Cancer of the tongue
mluth
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:07 PM

Can this be used on tongue cancer? I have already had a hemiglossectomy but the cancer has returned. It is now at the base of the tongue and involves part of the epiglottis. The surgical option I have been given is a total glossectomy
Mluth
walleyek
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:29 PM

I am very worried about my Mother. She was dx about two months ago with metastic squamous cell carcinoma, The primary tumor is on the back of her tongue. It spread to her nearby lymph node in her neck. Her treatment plan was 7 chemo treatments once a week, along with 5x weekly radiation treatments to the tongue tumor for 37 radiation treatments. After the third week the oncologist eliminated the chmotherapy, saying it was causing too severe side effects. My Mom is now through 26 radiation treatments and just told the family (despite our pleas) she can no longer continue. Her throat, neck, lips, mouth, tongue are all burned and very painful to her ("10 out of 10 pain"). She believes in her heart she cannot endure greater pain. She has a PEG tube for feedings as she cannot swallow even a drop of water. I was researching the CyberKnife radiation method tonight and was thining maybe this could be our saving grace. It claims to have markedly reduced side effects as the accuracy is better than the IMRT radiation she's been getting. Question for the forum: does CyberKnife work for malignant tumors on the back of the tongue? If so, we're going to ask our oncologist tomorrow about the ramifications of switching to this therapy. Does anyone out there smarter than me have any feedback or experiences to share in this realm? I would REALLY appreciate it as tomorrow she's supposed to have radiation treatment number 27 and she's as stubborn as a mule, saying she ain't going. Thank you so much - we really love her but also know we cannot force her against her will. She's thinking that 27 treatments (out of 38) could be enough to destroy the entire tumor. I'm sure the doc will say otherwise, but looking for other opinions and brainpower from this community. Help please!

Jeff Walker
radsrus
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 4:54 AM

She needs to get adequate pain medication and finish her radiation. She probably has a pretty reasonable chance for cure, and CyberKnife is not appropriate for this.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jeanninehuff
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:26 PM

Sad to hear that . See its all about inner strength . Be her strength . And visit EMDR therapist littleton co for more details .
HannahForever
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 12:53 AM

Have you undergone biopsy to see if its spreaded. The PET scan picks up hot spots in your body. Inflammation and rapid cancer activity show as hot spots. My PET scan showed how active the cancer was once they found it. It also showed some activity from an old injury (inclination, not cancer) as well. Go easy on the CT's as they can throw more radiation that we think. Hoping things will change positively for you.
HannahForever
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 12:56 AM

Have you undergone biopsy to see if its spreaded. The PET scan picks up hot spots in your body. Inflammation and rapid cancer activity show as hot spots. My PET scan showed how active the cancer was once they found it. It also showed some activity from an old injury (inclination, not cancer) as well. Go easy on the CT's as they can throw more radiation that we think. Hoping things will change positively for you.

Jump to different Forum...