Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Is radiation option for me
Maddy
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:00 AM

I am 36 years old male, got diagnosed with acoustic neuroma 3.2X3X2.3. I have slight numbness in left side of my face, a little pressure in left ear, but my left hearing is above normal. I don;t have any other issue. My life was normal till I heard the News. I talked to multiple doctors and most of them are surgeons and they are suggesting surgery for me. Some doctors mentioned that radiation is an option for me, but not sure whether I should take it or not. If I go to surgery, I am going to loose my hearing for sure. So, trying to find people who were in same boat before and what treatment option they took. I am trying to find whether I am eligible for radiation therapy or do I have to go for surgery
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:12 PM

Your tumor is at the upper limit of size we would treat with radiation only, with our cutoff usually being 3 cm. But in a marginal case like yours, we only make the decision after carefully reviewing all the imaging. When we don't think that primary radiation is best, we usually advise surgery that is done in such a way as to reduce the bulk of the tumor without causing functional loss, followed by radiosurgery. Your case is best handled by a team that is used to working collaboratively to handle cses like this, usually including a regular multidisciplinary conference where cases are reviewed by multiple in multiple disciplines.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Maddy
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:18 PM

Hi, Thanks for your response. When you are reviewing the images of MRI, what you will be looking for. do you see how much it is pressing the brain stem . I met with a Radiation oncologist, he is willing to do using Cyberkinfe, but I am not sure whether to take that approach or not. Could you please let me know for my size what are the risk in going with Radiation approach.
radsrus
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 5:25 AM

There is no single thing we look at. TO a great extent it is a judgment call, based on treating hundreds of acoustic neuromas within the confines of a stable multidisciplinary group. Simply degree of impingement against the brainstem would rarely be a contraindication to SRS treatment. The risks you would face cannot be accurately predicted without seeing the scans, but they would probably include brainstem damage, facial nerve damage, loss of hearing, balance problems. All of those are risks that will be there for ANY treatment. It is is the relative likelihood that is in question.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Maddy
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 9:45 AM

Thanks for your quick response. If I send my MRI images will you be able to give your opinion.
radsrus
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 10:02 AM

I could give my opinion, but it is the collaborative venue that is most valuable, and our group of neurosurgeons and so forth long ago gave up reviewing outside cases since it got overwhelming and not very productive. Where do you live?

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...