Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Cyber Knife vs. Gamma for an older patient?
TracyinFla
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:05 AM

Hello! My mother was diagnosed with a small acoustic neuroma in 2011 at age 64, measuring 7 mm x 3 mm x 5 mm - left side. She has had moderate to significant hearing loss, and suffers from periodic episodes of vertigo and tinnitus. She currently cannot drive due to the dizziness. My mother also has a history of TIAs. We have been in the watch and wait status for three years. In October, her MRI showed it as 11-12mm x 4 mm x 4 mm. Eight months later, her most recent MRI in June shows the neuroma at 14 mm x 5 mm x 7 mm. The doctor we have seen at Shands, Dr. Antonelli, recommends her pursuing radio surgery due to her age and medical condition. Our concerns in deciding which procedure is right for her are her medical history of TIAs, a strong family history of cancer, and her already severe symptoms and hearing loss. She does still have some hearing left in the left ear, and the right ear appears to be fine. We are trying to determine if either Cyber Knife or Gamma would be a better option for her given the size of the tumor, the seemingly rapid growth in the last 8 month, the amount of hearing loss she has had already, her symptoms with vertigo, balance, etc., and her age. Thank you in advance for any advice that can be offered.
Tracy
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:40 AM

Either would be fine. There is controversy about whether fractionated treatment offers better hearing preservation.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

TracyinFla
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:59 AM

Thank you for your quick reply, doctor. Your time is so greatly appreciated! Mom does still have some hearing on the affected side, so we would like to try and preserve it if possible. For the sanity of all of us. I have to be honest, I'm not sure after all I've read that I even see a "pro" on the Gamma Knife side in all this discussion. I understand that the data is perhaps not "conclusive" that Cyber Knife preserves hearing better, but other than that and the difference in the head gear vs. convenience of 1 versus multiple sessions, it sort of seems like 6 of one half a dozen of another type of thing - that they are both pretty equal in terms of what can be accomplished. Obviously there are technical differences, but I'm not seeing a glaring pro/con thing for either. Is there something we are missing?

Tracy
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 6:07 PM

Ck avoids frame placement and can be used in a fractionated fashion, although it does not have to be. Gamma Knife gets everything done in a single halfway session

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

sunmi
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:58 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is sunmi.i`m glad to meet you in here.These days,i often play CSGO game with my younger brother and my friends.For CSGO GAME,i think it is a best game for me.I like it a lot.

Maybe,Someone does not know CSGO,then i can tell you what is CSGO.CSGO is an online first-person shooter developed by Hidden Path Entertainment and Valve Corporation. It is the fourth game in the main Counter-Strike franchise.

Because of i like it,so i often buy many things about CSGO products such as skins,keys,pistols.If you like it as same as me.I suggest you that to click at www.csgo4sale.com for these things.It let me feel very well to buy these things.

Hoping my informations can help you to play more well and get more fun in game.

Jump to different Forum...