Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
2.2cm Facial nerve tumor - left stylomastoid foramen
Dreamer
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 8:52 PM

I've spent the past year doing everything in my power to get rid of this 2.2cm Facial nerve tumor in my left stylomastoid foramen. At times my once paralyzed face looks better but successes are unstable and fleeting. I thought schwannomas were not aggressive but mine is I can feel it acting up constantly. Had I Not been treating it so intently I would not be doing well. I promised my husband I would go to Stanford later this year for an appointment but I am terrified. I am so afraid of radiation or entering into something that will cause unforeseen waves of side effects for at least the next 3-5 years. Has anyone been in my shoes - facial nerve tumor in the same area. Dr Chang from Stanford wins my praises simply because he communicates and expresses an empathy for the human component of dealing with things like this. Although I'm sure he is a fantastic Dr -I am not so happy with UCLA (yang) because they cashed my $500 check quickly (to review my MRI) but still have yet to give me a report. I did receive one unscheduled call which I wasn't available for. I returned the call immediately, left a message and never heard back. This was after numerous attempts to get follow up on my part. Again, I'm sure they are fantastic but it puts a strange taste in the mouth to require and accept payment but leave a patient hanging. Because of experiences like this I value dr Chang at Stanford. He is an excellent communicator and takes his valuable time to answer questions which ultimately puts one at ease. (Thought I would share in case it might help.)
Dreamer
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:52 AM

You have a tumor in a place where it cannot help but press on the nerve. Stereotactic radio surgery can keep it from growing any more. You could get some temporary swelling which could cause increased symptoms for a few months, not usually longer than that. There is also the remote possibility of further damage to the nerve. That has to be balanced against the results of leaving the tumor alone and letting it grow.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Dreamer
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 5:52 AM

Thank you Dr Medbery, I really appreciate you taking the time to address my questions and answer my concerns.
Dreamer

Jump to different Forum...