Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
DCIS stage zero breast cancer
paige
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 9:09 AM

I live in Nevada. There is a Cyber Knife facility in Las Vegas but they do not do CK for the breast. My DCIS is very small and non invasive, I am looking for the least invasive " surgery" and radiation for this condition as I am not willing to endure the " traditional" treatment modalities that seem too extreme for my condition. Are there CK centers that provide this treatment for DCIS?
Paige
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:31 AM

As I told you privately, and am repeating here so others can see the answer, the treatment for this is surgical removal of the tumor. FIrst of all, you don't know that it is completely non-invasive until it is completely removed. Second, the reason that surgical removal is considered the standard of care is that we have tried other things that have not worked so well. With DCIS, you can't clearly see the edges of the tumor on the imaging, so you have no idea what to target. When CK is used for invasive cancer, it is done after the tumor is removed so we have a cavity to target. CK cannot be used in your case without surgical removal. If you are unwilling to have that done (probably a bad choice) then your alternative is to wait and see what happens. About 30% of the time you will be fine. About 70% of the time this will become an invasive cancer, require much more aggressive treatment, and cause an excessive chance of your dying from this disease.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...