Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
BENIGN TUMOR IN RIGHT JAW
jack plicet
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 12:48 PM

I have a tumor diagnosed by a pathologist as Ameloblastoma. Can this type of tumor be treated with Cyber Knife?
jack plicet
jack plicet
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 6:12 PM

Dear Maria, Thanks for your response. I have contacted Cyberknife in Pasadena, CA and they feel that they may be able to help me. I plan to follow up with them after January 14 when I will be given recommendations (watchful waiting, tumor cleanout, surgery, etc.) by Kaiser, my HMO in Orange County, CA. I am surprised that only you have responded to my question. Is it because Cyberknife may not be an option for ameloblastoma? Jack

jack plicet
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:53 AM

This is usually treated surgically. It would be unusual for CK to be a better option. Whether it is malignant or not is of no real relevance. Radio surgery/SBRT is used for both benign and malignant tumors

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
jack plicet
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 11:29 AM

Dear Dr. Medbery, I am confused by your response. In the first part of your response, you mention that ameloblastoma is usually treated surgically and that it would be unusual for CK to be a better option. In the second part of your response, you mention that radio surgery/SBRT is used for both benign and malignant tumors. Is radio surgery/SBRT different from CK? If so, is this something I should pursue to deal with my problem? If not, do you know of any Cyberknife organization that has treated ameloblastoma with CK?
jack plicet

Jump to different Forum...