Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Station 4L LN cyberknife option
Dfb
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:47 PM

I had a L pneumonectomy for lung adenocarcinoma in August 2014, with 2 mediastinal LN left behind by the surgeon. Underwent 35 rads with sensitizing chemo with carboplatin and taxotere finished in December. The PET scan of June showed the 2 LN at station 4L next to the trachea light up with an SUV of 5.7. A week ago the PET done on a different machine shows the same nodes with an SUV of 7. They measure together 1.5cm and are very close to the esophagus and trachea. I am tempted to cyberknife them but I would appreciate your input on the risks involved and complications to expect. Thank you
Dfb
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:56 AM

There are times when it is appropriate to treat with CK when there is nodal involvement, but not always. Risks are directly to the individual anatomy. The best thing to do is to get a CK center involved and let them review the scans.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Dfb
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 3:55 AM

The cyberknife rad onc doctor is confident after reviewing the PET that he can cyberknife the 4L 2 nodes, despite the close proximity of the esophagus and trachea. I worry about the possible immediate and delayed complications after treatment. Could you please tell me what should I expect assuming I go this route at this point? Thank you.

Dfb
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 4:06 AM

I am not trying to be evasive, but without knowing the exact anatomy and planned dose schedule it is impossible to say. However, it is your doctor's responsibility to go over that with you in detail. Just ask for a full review of the anticipated side effects and possible risks

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...