Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Meningioma - chances of recurrence
alexi
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 5:27 AM

One of my family members (age 23) had had a scull base located Meningioma. He had undergone surgery and CK treatment at Stanford Hospital a few months later. It has been almost 8 years since treatment , he is functioning excellently and the yearly MRI scans present no growth of the residual small tumor and even shrinking thereof. After 8 years to what extent can we be confident that there will be no recurrence? Thank you.
radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 5:47 AM

All that can be said for certain is that the chance for progression goes down with every year, and is low now

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
alexi
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 7:55 AM

Thank you very much for your prompt response.
paamboli
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:16 PM

paamboli
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:37 PM

In 2007, I had CK to treat a left frontal parasagittal meningioma. It has since shrunk a little. In 2010, I had breast cancer. In June of 2015, I had an atypical stage 2 meningioma surgically excised from my thoracic spine. The proliferation rate was 5.5%. It knocked out my legs for several months, but now I can walk carefully without assistance. In April of 2015 my routine MRI showed a 9mm cerebellomedullary something "of unknown significance, possibly a small meningioma". I was told, for the first time, that it had been there since 2011.
Multiple meningiomas are not a commonplace occurrence, and I cannot help but wonder if this proliferation was caused by Cyberknife. There have been studies and warnings floating around that CK can cause tumors years after treatment. I am currently 76, if that makes any difference.

paamboli

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:57 AM

No, it was not caused by CK. I am unaware of any second malignancies that have been tied to CK treatment, and certainly they would occur within 4 years of treatment. Multiple meningiomas are not that uncommon

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:57 AM

Jump to different Forum...