Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
CK Treatment for One of Multiple Mets?
Aweb
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 12:20 PM

I understand that Cyberknife is not used on multiple (5+) liver mets. However, is it possible to treat just one or two that are keeping a patient from liver resection? My understanding is that it is one (maybe a second) lesion that is keeping my husband from liver resection. He has been on chemotherapy that is shrinking the tumors, but the liver is still not resectable. Could he have Cyberknife treatment just on the lesions that are causing the biggest problems?
radsrus
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 2:07 PM

I have never done that, but I don't know that it is a bad idea. I don't know of any theoretical reason why it could not be done, but there could be exclusionary reasons in the details.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Aweb
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 2:15 PM

Thank you for your quick response! I want to explore all of our options, but it is hard to know what is even feasible. I do know that the problem tumor is quite close to the inferior vena cava. Is Cyberknife safe near major blood vessels?
radsrus
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 2:20 PM

Generally yes. Again, the details are important. See a CK center that also has liver surgery available and see what they say

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Aweb
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 2:56 PM

I'll definitely call a local center and see what they have to say. Thank you so much for your help!

Jump to different Forum...