Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
BPH Treatment post CyberKnife
Jak29672
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 5:50 AM

Has anyone had any treatment for BPH like UroLift or laser reduction of prostate after treatment with CyberKnife? What was the outcome and any side effects? 4 years post procedure and PSA is less than .1. Pleased with procedure but need to deal with BPH. Am on both Tamsulosin and Finasteride. Thanks.
Jak29672
Allen_E.
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 5:18 PM

Hopefully, the doctor will respond. I've never heard of BPH after CK, especially not 4 years out. And if it's big enough to cause urinary issues, why aren't the hypertrophic cells putting out PSA? The tissue is supposed to atrophy over time. Mine shrank from 55 cc down to 20 cc. How big is yours?

- Allen (not an MD)
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 6:13 PM

I would be surprised if there were BPH. I would not be particularly surprised at some obstructive symptoms. At this point, they are more likely related to treatment. Unless the symptoms are unmanageable, I would not do anything.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Jak29672
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 4:37 AM

At one time mine was 52cc. Don't knew what it is now. DRE indicate the presence of prostate (not smooth to the touch). Cysto(s) shows no obstructions other than URO says large prostate causing narrow urethra.

Jak29672
Jak29672
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 3:56 PM

Still convinced there is some BPH. Had ultrasound earlier this year and they estimated the prostate size to be the same as pre cyberknife. Urologist still wants to do some sort of treatment beyond medications.

Jak29672
radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 5:04 PM

You will have to make your own decision, but I can tell you that the worst problems we see are when the urinary tract is instrumented after CK treatment. If it is unavoidable then so be it, but I would be very cautious

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...