Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Lung , Brain and Liver
TIS
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:14 AM

My father has been diagnosed with T4.N2.M0 with non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that has spread to another part of the body. Primary: lung- one scan shows 7cm; the 2nd scan with a Bristol-Myers Squibb machine shows (9,5cm), spread to brain (cerebellum, 2cm) and liver. Can Cyber Knife be used on all 3 locations? In a combined treatment procedure? Is he an eligible candidate? Thank you.
radsrus
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:45 AM

The lung is pretty large for CK, but the cerebellum could be treated. The liver could be treated, but I would advise chemotherapy after treating cerebellum assuming there is information I don't have

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
TIS
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 5:24 AM

He has just done 5 days of iradiation of the whole brain (accelerated programme and high dosage); we will have a new CT scan today to see any potential impact. On the 16th he would imbark on a clinical trial (A trial of nivolumab, ipilimumab and chemotherapy for advanced lung cancer (CA209227) I have analysed all research on these meds, none of the results seem promising. The toxicity level of all meds is huge. As many doctors, as all advices vary. One would treat the metastasis, one would treat the lung, one would send him to chemo , one says chemo is pure death, one says these are the best available meds on the market, one would use only nutritional therapy and miracle vitamins, one says there is no hope and will live max. 1 year. I do not know what to do.
radsrus
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 7:25 AM

I don't have enough detailed information to offer you complete advice. What I can say with relative certainty is that the doctors who would use only nutritional therapy and miracle vitamins are charlatans and quacks. The new CT won't show much if any difference. It is too soon to know the effects of the radiation. It is untrue that the toxicity level of all meds is huge. The toxicity CAN be significant, but it is not always. You should talk to the prescribing doctor about what it is reasonable to expect, not so much what the worst possible outcomes are.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...