Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Meningioma Symptoms
Carsok
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:00 PM

I have a meningioma in the right petroclival region.  Per MRI the cisternal segment of right fifth nerve is not seen separate from lesion and mild mass effect noted on right side of brainstem.  Enchancement seen extended anteriorly into Meckel's cave with loss of normal CSF in Meckel's cave.  Anteriorly also extends into cavernous sinus with mild thickening and enhancement in right cavernous sinus.  Sorry this was so long but not sure what to do.  I had Cyberknife in 2013 and have been fine since then until a few weeks ago.  Now I'm having numbness on the left side of my body, feels like it's falling asleep, also pressure on the sides of my head and funny sensations around my head.  Also mentally feel strange and sometimes forgetting words.  It's hard to explain.  We moved so I'm not near my doctors who did the cyberknife.  Also the meningioma has not gotten any bigger.  I just went to a neurologist and he really didn't have an answer for me.  He is doing some blood work and I go back in a month.  He did suggest maybe want to see neurosurgeon to see if maybe needed another round of cyberknife.   Guess I'm not sure what to do at this point!!  Could the tumor be causing these problems.  I thought that with where it is it shouldn't affect the body this way.  Also, can you have more than one round of Cyberknife?  It's hard to deal with something when you can't get definitive answers.

radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:14 PM

If the tumor is not growing, further radiation is pointless. It is possible, however, that is has grown very slightly and that is enough to cause symptoms but not enough to be able to verify growth radiographically. This could also be late neurological effects of the radiation. A short trial of steroids would not be a bad idea. Also, if everyone is convinced that the tumor is not growing, could try Trental and Vitamin E, or even hyperbaric oxygen. Where are you living now

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Carsok
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:22 PM

I'm living in central florida, about 30 mins. from Orlando.  The neuro did mention steroids.  I was on prednisone in '09 for Temporal Arteritis and had a horrible time on it.  Did do decadron after Cyberknife and it wasn't as bad as prednisone. 

Carsok
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:58 AM

Forgot to tell you thank you in my last note.  Your reply is very much appreciated.

radsrus
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:03 PM

Decadron is better than prednisone anyway

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...