Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Hong Kong/Asia Cyberknife for Neck Vagus Nerve Schwannoma
CL13
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:25 AM

Hi all, I am 29 years old, with a 3.5 x 2.5 x 2.1 cm Schwannoma on my right vagus nerve. I've known about my condition for about 3 years but have only recently found out about Cyberknife. I live in Hong Kong at the moment and know that there is one machine here at the Hong Kong Adventist hospital. My appointment is in 2 weeks but I would like to know about their reputation, as my head and neck surgeon as commented that their machine is old and may not be the best? I appreciate if anyone here can provide some insight. Also, what other Cyberknife centers in Asia are recommended? Would also love to hear feedback/updates on any patients with Neck Vagus nerve schwannomas who have had CK treatments done, how are you guys doing now? Best regards and good luck to all. CL
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:15 AM

I don't personally know the people there, but I can say with near certainty that you are not going to be able to get good comparative data showing what center is "best". Vagal schwwannomas have ben treated for years, and usually do VERY well

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
CL13
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:36 AM

Hi Doctor Medbery, Thank you very much for your reply. When you say that Vagal Schwannomas have been treated for years with good success, are you referring to the neck area? How is the accuracy for a nerve sheath tumor in the neck area, and will the nerve itself be damaged during the CK process? Doctors I have met with are reluctant to recommend any sort of radiation due to my young age and also because they do not have much experience with treating tumors by radiation in the neck and are unsure of long term effects. Could you provide any insight on accuracy and potential long term side effects/damage to surrounding structures? Lastly, would you know which Cyberknife Centers (preferably outside of the US as my insurance does not cover) have treated Vagal schwanommas specifically in the neck area? Sorry for the bombardment of questions; I look forward to hearing from you. Best, CL
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:23 AM

Wipe accuracy off your list of concerns. With accuracy of about 0.5 mm, you need not concern yourself about that. Yes, I was talking about tumors in the neck. I am unaware of any significant long-term problems, but there is not much published on that. Peripheral nerves (such as the vagus) are generally relatively resistant to radiation damage, and doses required for schwannomas are not high. I have no way of knowing who has treated these tumors, but it should not usually be difficult to do. Depending on where you are, I can highly recommend the Munich center.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
HannahForever
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:00 PM

The success rate for Vagal Schwannomas treatment is good for both neck and nerve area. CK is safe treatment option with accuracy.

Jump to different Forum...