Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Squamous Cell Lung Cancer
SteelPenguin
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:44 PM

My Aunt was Dx'd with an approximate 2cm squamous cell carcinoma RLL endobronchial lesion. She also has fairly severe COPD. The Radiologist/Oncologist has said that she is not a candidate for the CyberKnife, instead they are treating her with IMRT Exterior Beam Radiation. I am just trying to find out what the possible reasons for her being told that the Cyberknife was not for her?
SteelPenguin
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:46 PM

I forgot to add, PET scan and brain scan were clear.
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:43 PM

Presumably because they don't have a CK and can make money treating her with IMRT. Unless there is something you have not told me, such as involved lymph nodes

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
SteelPenguin
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:19 PM

No node involvement. I can't figure out who, exactly, would be candidate, if she isn't. They do have the CK...The fiduciary markers can be placed via bronchoscopy, correct?
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:27 PM

She is

SteelPenguin
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:43 PM

Are the side effects more severe with CK? She is 73 y/o. Thank you, so much for your time!
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:46 PM

Virtually non-existent in most cases. There are exceptions. Exact details are important.

SteelPenguin
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:47 PM

She just got a call from one of her Drs and they said they couldn't put the fiducials in the airway???? ????
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:26 PM

They do not have to go in the tumor, just nearby. In 450 cases, I have never seen one in which we could not place fiducials. They may have less experience.

SteelPenguin
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 4:47 AM

Thank you for your time and expertise...it has helped greatly. With the knowledge gained we can now ask more specific questions regarding why they say Cyberknife cannot be performed. The only thing they are saying, at this point, is that the fiducial markers can't be placed. Her lung function is fairly poor because of COPD, and maybe the risk of lung collapse is their reasoning...I am going to find out more.

Jump to different Forum...