Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Accuracy of AN measurement from MRI without contrast?
dalemccl
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:39 PM

My first two MRIs were done with and without contrast: >>October, 2015. MRI ordered by ENT after substantial unexplained hearing loss in right ear. I don't have a percentage loss figure but I would subjectively estimate it was 60-70%. MRI showed a 16 mm AN on the right. Referred to a local Neurotologist who said to get another MRI in 3 months to check for growth. >>January 2016. 3-month followup MRI. Now 15 mm (was 16 mm). The Neurotologist said it's probably just a measurement difference between two radiologists, not a real shrinkage. Recommended watch and wait, with another MRI in one year. >>January 2017. One year followup MRI. Now 19mm. But this time the MRI was done only without contrast. The Neurotologist said because of no contrast, the 19mm measurement could be off by 1 mm one way or the other. Hearing testing showed further decline in the affected ear compared to the previous test 15 months prior. The current loss is estimated by the Neurotologist as 90%. No other symptoms other than slight and tolerable tinnitus in that ear. Because of above average growth (from 15-16 mm to 19 mm in one year), I elected Cyberknife rather than continue to watch and wait. (The Neurotologist offered both options.) I have a consultation next week with a Radiation Oncologist at a local hospital that has a Cyberknife. But because I based my decision on tumor growth, I am now wondering: is an MRI done without contrast good enough to judge growth when compared to the previous two MRI's that were done with and without contrast?
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:02 AM

It should be fine in looking at that amount of growth. Differences of 1 mm can just represent differences in where the slice is taken or where the measurement is performed

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
dalemccl
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:04 PM

Thanks, Doctor.

Jump to different Forum...