Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
new diagnosis - posting question
monkeyzpop
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 3:34 PM

Just got my diagnosis. I notice many people in this forum post information regarding their stats -- PSA, Gleason, etc., + a bunch of stuff I don't recognize. I'm sure that information is in my biopsy results, but can someone explain how to ferret it out and use it for posting as others here do? By the way, is CyberKnife problematic for insurance companies? I've got great insurance, but is it generally a fight to get coverage for this? Thanks.
JAV
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:11 AM

You need to grab hold of the reins, educate yourself and then start asking questions. Otherwise you may feel like a dog on a leash being led around. You need to be an active part of your diagnosis and treatment decision. I was blessed because I had a bad medical experience a year before I was diagnosed with CaP and that's when I learned my lesson that I, not the Dr.'s are responsible for my medical care. The good news is CaP is slow growing and you have plenty of time ( months, not weeks ) to decide what you will do. Start by requesting a copy of your biopsy report from the urologist that did the biopsy, or the Dr. that referred you to the urologist. If your health system has an internet patient portal, get signed up for that so you may have access to the reports online. A good place to get educated and a lot of good information is the Prostate Cancer Research Institute : https://pcri.org/ Spend a few days reading and then you will be in good shape to start asking questions on this Forum. Good luck on your journey. Please keep us in the loop and BTW, if you have any questions that the Docs on this Forum can answer ( God bless them - they volunteer their time. And Dr. Medberry has a great sense of humor, too ) you can usually get an answer the same day. BTW, urology is a surgical sub specialty. Your urologist will undoubtedly recommend RP ( using the robot ) - that's what he/she is trained to do, that's his/her business. If your urologist doesn't give you other options to consider, you probably need to find another urologist that will. After a few appt's with the urologist my FP Doc referred me to, I found another at the Indiana University Cancer Pavilion, which is 325 miles from my home, that would work with me. Three months later he also did my second biopsy and it came back a 7. I was doing active surveillance ( watchful waiting ) and had decided to have Cyberknife done if my Gleason hit 7. My new urologist supported my decision to be treated with Cyberknife. Remember, you have months to make a decision. Insurance shouldn't be a problem. Talk to a Cyberknife Center about insurance coverage for Cyberknife , not the urologist's office. Jim V. ( not a MD, DO, or PhD )

Treated with CK 4-2011.  Gleason of 3+4 , PSA 3.7 , two cores positive, 5% & 12%
 PSA on 7-13 0.3  PSA on 11-13 0.3 PSA on 5-14   0.3  
PSA on 7-14   0.2 PSA on 11-14  0.2 PSA on 3-15 0.2
PSA on 7-15, 0.2 PSA on 7-17 0.1 PSA on 1-18 0.13
viperfred
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:41 PM

If your insurance denies coverage let me know. I have an appeal created for patient by his daughter that will work. The daughter did a great job organizing information form may sources that overturned Blue Cross of Ohio about 6-7 years ago. Fred
JohnB
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:56 AM

I am on medicare in PA., UPMC for Life, my treatments were approved. Good luck on getting your approval, one less thing to be concerned about
JB

Jump to different Forum...