Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
radiation to spine
zunigan
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:01 PM

My husband had brain tumor in 1999, had surgery, radiation, chemo then in 2006 oct he had spinal tumors  T2-T7 had more radiation.  Then left temporal lobe tumor in 2007.  Now had two tumors in spine again one in same place other new.  It was medullablastoma.  He had all treatments here in usa now he is in Mexico and can not come back for anything here.  He was told they could not do much more radiation to his first tumor but could to second one since he did not have any radiation in that area.  would this cyber knife be something he can have for the tumor in the T2-7 area?  they want to do just chemo and see if it helps.  thanks
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:32 AM

They could do just chemo and see if it helps, and it might, but probably not much time should be wasted. CK might be useful for the T2-T7 area, but I don't know how you get around the immigration restrictions. We don't yet have any systems in Central and South America. You might contact the Miami center. THey treat a lot of patients from down south and may have some expertise in getting humanitarian exceptions.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

zunigan
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:00 AM

Ok so one last question, if he could get somewhere and have the cyber knife treatment can they do it even with all the radiation he has already had?  According to the doctor he has had 45% and can have only 10% more to that tumor in that area.  And how do they decide how much to any given area?  I have been told this kind of tumor usually shrinks with radiation.
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:31 AM

He could still get CK because of our ability to target so closely.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

zunigan
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 5:47 AM

I just got this report from my husband.  It says T2 is approximately 19x15 millimeters measured in the sagittal adquiscion left.  T5-T-7 and the dorsal medulla is irrgular and has hyperintesfied irregular nd heterogeneous   the image is 12.5 millimeters occupying the spinal canal.  the rest of the neuroforamenes are extensive. Bone marrow normal   T5-7 is where he had several tumors 24 months ago treated with radiation only then chemo 4 months later.  This is all very confusing.  He is now on his way to Zacatecas where he has family and one a doctor who is going to be helping him.  Also I have talked with a number of people who say they do have the cyberkife at some of the bigger medical hospitals there.  Mexcio city being one.  Am now trying to research this Thanks
radsrus
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2008 11:38 AM

There are no CyberKnife centers in Mexico. You can find a complete list of centers at http://accuray.com/CyberKnifeCenters/index.aspx

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

E.W.
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 4:37 PM

On a recent Bone Scan, my radiologist indicated increased uptake within the cervicothoracic junction probably representing a C7 metastasis.  There seem to be lesser degree findings at C3 and C4.  I have several questions?

1.  Is conventional radiation more risky within this sensitive area?

2.  Would this create a greater opportunity for metastasis to the brain due to proximity to head?

3.  Are titanium screws still used instead of gold seeds in this area?

4.  Does an exercise program, like hot yoga create any risk to this area?   Many of the postures stretch the spine, and involve neck movement.  Could this be causing the uptake readings?

Thanks, EJ 

radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:55 AM

1. Not really
2. No
3. Neither are needed for spine treatment.
4. Possibly, depending on more specifics than we have available. I don't think the uptake is due to exercise.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Mike38
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:16 AM

I have an approximately 3 cm long and 0.5 cm wide schwannoma on the left side of C4-5, which touches the cord and the vertebral artery.  It also causes pain in my left shoulder and abating areas.

I understand that a Stereotactic Radiosurgery (Cyberknife) can be used to treat this tumor.  I was also told that a traditional surgery is preferable in my case because of proximity of the tumor to the spinal cord and the danger of the accidental spinal cord irradiation. I was also told that there is a danger of transforming currently benign shwannoma into a malignancy as a result of the Cyberknife treatment.  Is it true and, if it is, what is the probability of these adverse effects, and what procedure (traditional surgery or cyberknife) is OBJEVTIVELY (I understand that I will have to make the final choice) preferred in my case?

Mike38
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:03 PM

THere is certainly no argument against surgery other than the obvious ones, but this could also be treated with CK if surgery is undesirable for some reason, such as an aversion to pain. Surgery would get rid of the tumor, hopefully completely, and might get quicker pain relief. CK would stop it from growing but would not remove it. There is no reason to be concerned about it turning to cancer from CK treatment. That is a scare tactic.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:17 AM

IN these forums we often use the term "external radiation" to refer to standard types of radiation therapy, as opposed to radiosurgery/stereotactic body radiation therapy. It is not completely accurate to do that because SRS/SBRT is also delivered by external means.

Internal radiation therapy is not always internal, and is most commonly not interstitial. The better term is brachytherapy, meaning treatment at a short distance. Probably the most common type of this is the intravaginal brachytherapy for cervical and endometrial cancer, although the expanding use (no pun intended) of balloons in the breast is probably coming close. Interstitial specifically refers to the placement of radioactive sources near a tumor by the insertion of needles into the tissues rather than using a naturally occurring cavity (intracavitary).

Palliative and prophylactic are not types of radiation treatment, but just recognize the intent of treatment (curative, palliative, prophylactic)

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...