Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Bilateral acoustic neuromas
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:20 AM
Joined: 4/23/2009
Posts: 1

My 62 year old mother was diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas about 2 1/2 years ago. One was very large and surgically removed, with a GK treatment following. She has no hearing in that ear (was gone prior to surgery). The other tumor is small and her doctors have opted to watch and wait-- so as to not risk her hearing in the other ear. When being scanned for her GK treatment, another tumor was found at her skull base and was diagnosed as a meningioma. This too they decided to watch and wait. However, having 2 tumors (+ the remains of another) leave her feeling like she has 2 time bombs in her head. She is deaf in one ear, has imbalance issues, some facial tingling and numbness -- all on the side of the face with the removed tumor. Her dilemma is whether she should watch and wait for the other acoustic neuroma to grow (I've read that they tend to enlarge unpredictably and quickly) and then be forced to have another surgical treatment that will likely cause severe hearing loss and possible facial paralysis, not to mention the other risks, or proactively seek treatment with GK or CK now, with their lower risk of these issues, but risks nonetheless. The same goes for the meningioma. Any advice or information that she could go to her doctors with or that would help her make a decision?

Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:28 PM
Joined: 10/10/2008
Posts: 4435

AN's rarely grow rapidly or unpredictably. If she is followed every 6 months, things should not get out of hand. No matter her choice of treatment modality, there is a risk of losing hearing, so I agree with W&W so long as she is being carefully followed.


Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102


Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 10:34 AM
Joined: 1/30/2015
Posts: 1

My husband has been diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas..he is 41.  Right now we are doing the watch and wait approach because he has very little if any hearing loss and no other side effects except some ringing in his ears.   We have been doing this for about 4 years now and feel like we should treat one of the tumors hoping to save some of his hearing.  Right now we have talked with so much people, three neurosurgeons and we still don't have a great feeling as to what treatment we should consider.  It is a hard decision but we are trying to be a little proactive thinking if we can save some hearing that would be great since he is so young.  Any input that anyone would have out there would be great for us.  Right now we are going to wait till his next scan in July to see what they have done.

Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 5:47 PM
Joined: 10/10/2008
Posts: 4435

No other tumors? THe best chance for preserving hearing is radiosurgery, and there is a smattering of evidence (not very compelling) that fractionated treatment such as the CK can deliver may be better than single fraction, but I would not put a lot of faith in that right now. It is difficult to decide when to treat in this situation, but frequent imaging is useful (every 3-6 months).

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology

Jump to different Forum...