Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Cyberknife vs Rapidarc
JANBO
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:07 AM

Hiya I have a friend who's husband has an adrenal gland tumour. He was due to have Cyberknife at one of the London clinics yesterday having had the fiducials put it last week. The day before the CK, the oncologist announced that he wasn't going to treat him with Rapidarc instead. Is Rapidarc likely to be more successful that the CK? Their insurance compnay were paying for the CK so I'm don't think the change of plan is to do with cost. My friend's husband think the oncologist is 'fobbing' him off with treatment that isn't as good. What do you think? Your opinions would be much appreciated!! Thanks Jan Bowley
Dr. J
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:29 AM

How long a course of treatment are they planning with the Rapid Arc? Cyberknife treatment is delivered in only 5 fractions or less over a week's time whereas conventional treatment with a linear accelerator, with or without Rapid Arc, usually takes several weeks and is far less accurate. Why did they make that change?

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
CyberKnife Center of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

JANBO
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 10:54 AM

They are planning 5 x 2 minute treatments of rapid arc the same as was planned for his Cyberknife. He has been told that after reviewing the 3D images of his tumour, they think it could be treated more effectively with the rapid arc. Can the potential effectiveness of tumour control be compared if one is radiotherapy and one is radiosurgery? I have been looking on the website for the rapid arc manufacturer's but it doesn't say accurate the radiation delivery is, like CK's is less than 1mm. Naturally, my friend is worried that they may just be using her husband as a 'guinea pig' and it just seems strange that they put in the fiducials and then just the day before treatment decide he shouldn't have Cyberknife and have the rapidarc instead.
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:32 AM

I can't imagine why they would change. CK tracks motion which RapidArc really does not do. I could think of cases where IMRT might be advantageous because of the protracted treatment course, but if they are using the same fractionation scheme, then I see no advantage for RapidArc other than the more rapid treatment. The accuracy will be less. By the way, you need to find out what the dose will be for each treatment to be sure the dose is adequate.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Donald B. Fuller, M.D.
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 3:17 PM

I do not see any RapidArc advantage either,especially if they are otherwise using the same treatment schedule. CK continuously tracks. RapidArc does not. You are right to question this change. Perhaps they will offer a good reason but it is not apparent to me from the content of your post.

Donald B. Fuller, M.D.

Radiation Oncologist

CyberKnife Centers of San Diego

477 N El Camino Real, Ste D101

Encinitas, CA 92024

(760) 230-6706

dfuller@rmgmed.com

Dr. J
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 7:17 PM

Can't wait to hear their reasons...

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
CyberKnife Center of Palm Beach