Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Is cyberknife possible for this situation?
ABaker
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 4:35 PM

My dad (74 yrs old) has RCC with mets to the liver, lymph nodes, and lung. I wanted to find out as much as possible about this procedure to determine whether it is an option. He already tried the Torisel chemo without much success and radiation to the lung only, but the tumor there shrank slightly while the tumors in the other areas grew. Tumor sizes - right kidney 8.4x11.7cm Nodules in lungs - multiple ones ranging b/w 2 to 4 mm Lymph nodes - 2.2 x 2.2 cm Liver = 9.0 x 6.6cm The doctors stated that surgery is not an option since the cancer has spread. They next recommended Sutent as the chemo drug to try, but they stated there is a high possibility of life-threatening bleeding that can occur since my dad has had a history of coughing up blood before. Considering that factor, we felt it was too risky to try Sutent. I'd like to find out if cyberknife can work in this case. Could cyberknife be used??? It sounds so promising that I wish it is an option.
radsrus
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 3:18 AM

There is some data suggesting that removing the primary tumor makes the mets respond better. CK would be difficult in this situation. That liver tumor is big. Perhaps radiolabelled spheres would be a better option. The lymph nodes are not likely to cause major problems soon. The lung tumors are too small to make it worth treating them. If a small number became problematic, then they could be treated.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...