Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
L5 schwannoma or neurofibroma
skeers
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:21 PM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I have been experiencing a lot of pain over the last few years that is really disrupting my life.  A recent MRI report described the cause as follows:

The focal expansion of the exiting L5 nerve root within the left L5/S1 intervertebral foramen shows homogeneous enhancement.  The differential possibilities include schwannoma or neurofibroma.

Because of the location, the tumor cannot be biopsied.

A Neurosurgeon recommended surgery and spine fusion.  He objects to CyberKnife because he says it is not the “standard of care” and we do not know what kind of tumor it is.  He is concerned that if CK doesn’t work, it would make surgery difficult or impossible in the future.

My questions:

From a CK perspective, does it matter whether it is a schwannoma or neurofibroma?

Will doing CK limit my options for surgery later if the CK is not successful?

How long does it usually take to figure out if CK worked?  Is it possible I could be in this level of pain for another year only to discover that it did not work?

Thanks for any input.

radsrus
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:30 PM

About 95% of these will be controlled with CK, regardless of histology. The experience is limited therefore in resection of recurrent disease. What experience there is suggests that it is not particularly more difficult, probably because of the lack of radiation of the normal tissues

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

skeers
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:12 PM

Dr Medbery,

Thank you for your reply.  I am going to move forward with scheduling CyberKnife.

Just so I know what to expect, what is the best case and worse case as to how long it will take to experience some improvement in the pain I am experiencing?

Thanks

radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:43 PM

Best case: pain is better overnight. Seen often when treating tumors in the spine, but less often with schwannomas

Worst case: No pain relief. Not real common, but does occur sometimes

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Rosh Gadol
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:33 AM

Skeers, I hope that you are well enough to not be on this forum. I have the same problem on my right side. I would love to know how you are feeling today.

Jump to different Forum...