Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
sbrt or rf?
go2girl
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:12 PM

A close friend has St.IV crc with liver mets. Last yer in April, he had a resection with his initial primary tumor removal surgery. Then chemo, that did not shrink tumors, rf ablation of those 2 or 3 tumors and optional chemo. Scans were clear after rf for 10 months after rf and during the second chemo. A new 2 cm tumor has appeared since the last scan. His docs say also there is something near last ablation they are not sure about. The rf surgery was tough, tumor was on the back side of the liver and ablation was laproscopic, his recovery was slow. They seem to be in a BIG rush to ablate and brush off his questions about sbrt, which I told him about, it was not mentioned to him by his onc or surgeon. They say they will ask their rad guy, but have scheduled him for ablation this coming week anyway. Surgeon said tumor is on the "dome" so didn't know if they can do sbrt. Is this placement a problem? I am pushing him to get advice from another facility that does liver sbrt. Also he had thymus cancer 11 years ago, has 1/2 lung and partially paralyzed diaphragm. Would it be a problem that he had radiation for that back then?
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:08 PM

That site can be treated with SBRT, and I think the data would suggest that SBRT is likely to be more effective. That is certainly the case in lung tumors

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...