Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Cyberknife and Whipple for duodenum with liver mets?
Jen2701
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:34 PM

My husband, aged 40, was diagnosed last week with cancer in the lower part of the duodenum with mets on his liver (numerous lesions throughout). He has always been very healthy but has gone downhill very quickly in the last 3 months.
I understand that the Whipple procedure is the only way to cure the duodenal cancer, but I have been told by his oncologist they won't do this because of the liver mets. My question is, could Cyberknife get rid of the liver lesions entirely, and if so, would a surgeon then consider a Whipple as an option ? How soon after Cyberknife treatment could a patient undergo a major operation such as Whipple.

EOX chemo is starting in two days, but they are talking about it in terms of managing the tumour more than anything else, and we are supposed to expect he can't be cured.

We are desperate for him to get better, and would try anything, and go anywhere! Any advice much appreciated.

Jump to different Forum...