Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
trigeminal neuralgia
Everett schmidt
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 12:34 PM

Has anyone ever tried or heard of the Laser Med Center? We need to hear your experiences. We're trying to make a decision between cyberknife and Laser Med Center. Cyberknife destroys the pain-causing fibers in the nerve. Laser Med helps rebuild the tissue around the nerve fibers. Has anyone tried cyberknife, and it didn't help, but found help somewhere else?
rubie
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 10:02 AM

I heard there is that mvd treatment. Microvascular decompression is when surgery is required. Where they cut behind the ears and put some kind of tissue material between the blood vessel and the nerves so they don't touch. But I'm not sure I heard of any success yet. I did have that condition on my right side of my face. I couldn't do my everyday things. Like being a "mom". I feel so bad, that I could not participate in activities with my kids in school, or at home. I have been taking medicine for some times now (since early 2008). Been going to different Doctors since then. I on gabapentin & tegretol . Medication had been going to a higher doses, and I just getting tired of swallowing horse pills. I did have that shocking facial pain, but now I have a burning tongue on the right side with a sensation of feeling like someone's touching a small part of my right front top of my hair on my head "weird". I can't lay on my right side of my face at night. I'm on a soft food diet & have to avoid acid food. Like tomatoes, oranges, drinks etc. I don't know how the outcome might be if I took Gamaknife. I telling you know that how I got my trigeminal neuralgia is going to a wrong dentist. That's how it started. I guess we who all have it, If I can heal everyone with my hands, I would hug the whole world...including myself...

trigeminal neuralgia
Tomascito
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 10:00 AM

I had the TG procedure in May, 2014. All the shocks stopped immediately, and this lasted about 16 months. Then, all of a sudden, I experienced slowly numbness in both right lips and in my right eyelid. I went to my doctor, and he said the numbness is better than the shocks. That's all he said. So I will take it. I had one shock that knocked me off my feet. The numbness is very slight when I get up in the morning, but then intensifies through the day. But it is tolerable. Before the TN procedure, the doctor put me on Lyrica, which was awful. I couldn't even remember how to tie my tie. Before the TN procedure, my doctor did not tell me facial numbness occurs in 10-15% of the patients.
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 10:31 AM

THE numbness is a known side effect and varies in terms of how much it bothers people. Most consider it preferable to the TN, but not all. I am unaware of anything that really helps it.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...