Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
3x3cm Extradural Metastasis (Primary Lung)
jackbaskali
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:34 PM

Doctor, First of all, it is amazing this forum exists. A relative of mine is 92 years old. According to a PET/CT he is showing a 3-4 cm mass surrounding the upper right lobe broncus, Two metastases have formed including one located at L1 and one on the inferior pubic ramus - both are approximately 3x3 cm. Given he is located near Tampa we are considering Moffitt. I find it interesting that centers that do NOT have access to CK make it sure to address as to why they do not have it. This leads me to believe that CK does in fact provide some tangible benefit over other equipment. Unfortunately, the L1 metastasis is causing some serious pain and we would like to get that treated immediately. Would you consider it to be appropriate or acceptable for the patient to begin receiving radiation treatment immediately and then move over to the CK in the future or try his best to get CK treatment as an initial treatment? I do know there is a center that provides for CK treatment in Tampa' although, I am not sure as to how we would go about pursuing that if we are going to set up shop at Moffitt. Thanks so much for all your help.
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:44 PM

I would probably start with standard radiation to the spine although I could make a good argument for going right to CK. Treatment is going to be palliative. Chemotherapy might be in order if he is able to tolerate it.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...