Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
8mm Nodule Candidate for CK?
EllenS
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:01 AM

I had a CT Scan on my neck 14 months ago and it was noted I had a 6mm nodule in my upper right lobe. I had another scan done of my neck recently and it showed the nodule has grown to 8mm. It is a Semi-Solid Ground Glass and is not near the airways. It was suggested that I have a Lobe removed or wait 3 month and do anther CT Scan. It is unknown if it is cancerous. Am I a Candidate for CK?
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:27 PM

Probably - it depends on what it is. A PET scan may offer some good information. We would advise a needle biopsy if that is possible before making any final treatment decision

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

EllenS
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 8:27 AM

Thank your your response, it's much appreciated. I was told that doing a biopsy would be subject to significant risk of sampling error or non-diagnostic material. I thought PET Scans to not useful for nodules of this type? One has not been offered or suggested at this time. It sounds like I should pursue a biopsy and cyberknife if there is growth in 2 months anyway.
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:55 AM

There is some risk of sampling error with biopsy, but it is far less than risk of error without biopsy. PET can fairly reliably separate malignant from benign lesions, although there are exceptions

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...