Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Is CK an option (Glioblastoma)
merrySunshine
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:52 PM

My husband (46 years old) was diagnosed in November 2012 with stage 4 Glioblastoma in the parietal region. He had surgery November 30 and they removed all visible tumor.  He had 30 radiation treatments concurrent with Temador and then continued with Temador after radiation.  He's getting a MRI every eight weeks.

MRI in January 2013 showed "something" but it was too soon to tell exactly what it was.  Scan in April showed the tumor was growing again.  He stayed on Temador for six months but it didn't slow down the tumor so they discontinued it.

Started high dose DCA and that didn't seem to slow tumor down.

June 2013 he started Avastin and NovoTTF.  After an initial pause in tumor growth, the tumor more than doubled in eight weeks.  Consulted with same neurosurgeon who did first craniotomy and he said surgery would not improve quality of life but did run a high risk of paralyzing my husband.  Consulted with radiation.  They did five days of radiation spread over two and a half weeks.  Symptoms went away for one month and then suddenly returned full force.  They have said no more radiation.

Continued Avastin, DCA, and NovoTTF with no noticeable effect.  Added in a few other things with no effect.  Tumor kept growing.

April 2014 Avastin is causing too many side effects for no apparent benefit.  All treatments stopped and my husband was put on hospice.

My fil mentioned CK to me tonight.  Is CK and option for my husband?
Last MRI, March 3, showed tumor to be 6x8x7 and in the parietal and occipital lobes and crossing the corpus callosum.

M

radsrus
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 2:04 AM

I don't think so after all the treatment he has had. It is just a very precise way of delivering radiation, and that is not likely to be of benefit now.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...