Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Ureter
FAN
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 6:33 PM

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in Oct 2012 and underwent TURBT. The tumour was located at RT VUJ (ureteric junction) and completely removed. Biopsy indicated a low grade non invasive one. In April 2014 a recurrence was observed at RT VUJ during routine cystoscopy. TURBT was performed 2 weeks later and the tumour in bladder was removed. During the TURBT the doctor observed a tumour higher up in the ureter (approximately mid way to kidney); so he was unable to remove it. Following the TURBT, a CT scan was done which showed the kidney is ok and no metastasis. The tumour in ureter is so small at the moment that it did not even appear in the CT scan. Biopsy results show low grade, non muscle invasive. The option given to me for removal of ureteric tumour is to remove the kidney as well as ureter. For now we have scheduled an ureteroscopy in June 2014 to once again have a look and then take a decision. I am 39 years old and not very keen on removing kidney and ureter for a small & low grade tumour which has not affected the kidneys yet. Is Cyberknife treatment a good option for me?
radsrus
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 3:15 AM

No. First of all, treatment of hollow structures such as a ureter is almost certain to result in stricture. Second, there is no way to target it since it does not show up in ct scans. You might see if there is a good surgical option. Perhaps seek out a real urologic oncologist.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...