Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Cerebral Meningoima
S Anderson
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:01 PM

I was recently diagnosed with a cerebral meningoima. I was given 3 options, wait and see, surgery, or Cyberknife. Surgery is frightening due to the invasiveness of it. Cyberknife seems better, but not sure what the risks are for that. It is my understanding it doesn't get rid of tumor all together only stops the growth. Are there any reasons not to do cyberknife?
S Anderson
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:00 AM

Radiation kills the tumor cells, but a lot of what you see on scans is fibrous tissue that is not living cells. Therefore the mass usually only shrinks slightly, but there is a 90% likelihood that it will never grow again. That is as good as surgery, and avoids the risks. Whether you need treatment at all depends on age, size, symptoms, location etc. In most cases it does not really hurt to wait a few months and re-image but there are exceptions.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

S Anderson
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:03 AM

I would opt for the wait and see option but the tumor is near the venous sinuses, so if it grows, it could present more difficulty in removal. I have done more reading on the Cyberknife and one forum lists many side effects including weakness, depression, unable to walk or stand, tired, sleepy,damage from cyberknife, and many side effects from Decadron. This seems more alarming than surgery.

S Anderson
radsrus
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:39 AM

Being near the venous sinuses is not a problem for SRS. I would probably not consider removal in most cases

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Austin_Marshall
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 11:38 PM

As far as I know, there are some long term side effects of radiosurgery. One of them is a small area of dead cells. If you will be given a very high dose of radiation given to a very small area. Over a period of time the treated area may develop a small area of dead cells. An even smaller proportion of people need surgery to remove the dead tissue.

Support Serice
radsrus
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 1:57 AM

The answer above is baloney. To all on these forums: When you see these postings that have a link to Cancer Support etc, you are being trolled. A series of cancer centers in Nevada is trying to obtain patients with posts that appear to be real but are just an excuse to put in a link to their site. My guess is that if they are that hard up for patients, their quality must be poor, although I have no real way of knowing. Certainly, good centers don't engage in this sort of activity.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
radsrus
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 1:58 AM

Dear Austin (or whatever your real name is): if you are going to hijack a patient forum to troll for patients for your cancer center, at least learn how to spell "service"

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org

Jump to different Forum...