Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Breast cancer with brain mets
Amin
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 5:50 PM

My wife was diagnosed with locally advanced breast cancer in December 2011. She went for chemotherapy surgery and radiation therapy for chest wall. She was then diagnosed with multiple brain mets in October 2013 with larger lesion of 2.6 cm. She went for whole brain radiation therapy same month. She improved and her lesions initially got smaller but then they started to increase in size with minimal symptoms. So she went for Cyberknife treatment for 11 lesions on early July 2014. Now in October with latest MRI it seems there are few other new lesions but she has no symptoms. Could she go for another Cyberknife despite she has no symptoms or minimal symptoms? She is young (28 years with 2 young kids age 2 & 4) and healthy and the cancer is under control beside the brain. Thank you very much
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:00 AM

She should be treated again to the new mets

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Amin
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 2:05 AM

Could she receive another the CK in different hospitals? Or what she needs to go to another hospital to receive another treatment of CK? Thank you very much
radsrus
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 2:21 AM

I see no reason to go anywhere else unless the center refuses to treat her

Amin
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 9:08 AM

I was told they will need the planning details from the previous CK she received so the new centre could treat. I understand it is better to get them but what about if the first hospital where she received the CK cannot give the detail planning on DVD? Is it hard to transfer the planning details to the new hospital so they know which lesions have been treated? Is it possible for the new hospital to treat with out the transferring the detailed planning map? Thank you very much
Margesew
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 8:26 PM

I was recently diagnosed with breast ca mets to multiple lymph nodes in my chest and mediastum, thyroid, and one lesion 7mm on my left parietal lobe in brain. Initial plan of tx by my radiologist was to perform whole brain radiation, to make sure if there were any stragglers they would also be taken care of. After I suggested the cyberknife would be less side effects, he discussed with oncologist and agreed cyberknife would be a viable option if I was willing to have an MRI every 2-3 months. We will be starting chemo this week. My concerns are if and when more tumors may show up? If they did show up again, would whole brain radiation then be the best option, or more cyberknife? If I had a full mastectomy in 2009, instead of lumpectomy, would the mets be as likely? Really confused on cyberknife versus whole brain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Margie schenck
Margesew
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 8:27 PM

Need response asap! Thanks!
Margie schenck
radsrus
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2014 3:11 AM

Mastectomy would not have changed anything. You can be treated with CK, monitored with MRI every two months, and any additional mets can be treated with CK as well, unless there are a lot, in which case whole brain treatment would be preferable

radsrus
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2014 3:42 AM

Amin, what am I missing here? Why not have the treatment at the original center where they have ALL the information?

Amin
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2014 4:12 AM

Initially our radiation oncologist refused to refer her for CK in our local area because he think lesion were multiple and he said they usually do upto 4 lesions brain mets in our area. We then found another center (with his help) and did the first treatment of 11 lesions. This required a long trip and efforts. Now he agreed to evaluate her in our area but he asked us to get the detailed treatment plannig/maping. So is it possible to do them without the previous planning or is it absolutely necessary? It will be much more convenient and easier to do them in our area without making this long trip and efforts. Thank you again
Amin
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2014 4:15 AM

Margesew, I hope the best for you. I wonder did you have any symptoms when they discovered your brain met? Thanks
radsrus
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2014 8:14 AM

Gotcha. That was what was not clear. The original treating center can send certain records and those should be sufficient. It is not possible to transfer over an entire treatment plan for technical reasons. He should be able to get what he needs to continue treatment

Jump to different Forum...