Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Recurrent episodes of vertigo 5 years post CK
lalehjg
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 5:54 AM

Hello Drs. I was diagnosed with an AN 12 mm x 5 mm 5 years ago, and underwent CK at Stanford in April of 2010. The treatment has been deemed successful and the tumor appears dead with no signs of regrowth (thank God!!). However, even 5 years after treatment, I am still experiencing bouts of vertigo a few times per year. These are usually brought about by fatigue/lack of sleep and/or stress. During these flare-ups, I feel pressure on the AN side, tinnitus, and of course vertigo to the point where I have to lie down/sleep. I had a very severe bout last year, which was diagnosed as a vestibular neuronitis, and landed me in the hospital for 4 days on a high dose of prednisone. It took 6 weeks for me to fully recover. My local neurologist at that time also prescribed Valium, which I took reluctantly for about 2 weeks. I recovered fully however. I am not on any meds now (except for my high cholesterol for 10 years which is unrelated to the AN). I now again have vertigo. I am due for an MRI will I am scheduling today, but this vertigo feeling is familiar and comes about 5-6 times per year. My question is this: why would a patient whose CK treatment on an acoustic neuroma has been successful experience AN symptoms even 5 years after treatment? Is this to cause me grave concern? What does it mean that the nerve has "flared up" exactly? Why exactly happens in there to make the nerve flare up, give me vertigo and a sense of pressure? I am confused about this issue. Thank you for any insights you can provide. Best regards. Laleh
AN Right side 12 mm x 5 mm diagnosed 1/25/10.
radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:04 AM

WE occasionally see patients with intermittent vertigo like this. It is not common, but does occur. I am not sure what causes it. If steroids are helpful, perhaps your doctor would prescribe Decadron for you to take at the first start of symptoms. Valium in low doses (2 mg three times a day is usually all that is required) can be very helpful for treating the vertigo. This is not a cause for grave concern other than the fact that the symptoms are bothersome.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
lalehjg
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:09 AM

Thank you very much Dr. Medbery for your quick response. I really appreciate it. I would like to avoid the meds as much as I can if I can have my body heal itself if possible. For other patients who may be reading this, I have found that the following have typically helped me avoid/overcome vertigo: *hydrate hydrate hydrate with water *avoid caffeine *avoid alcohol *avoid too much salt *make sure you get plenty of rest. If you are running yourself ragged, you will pay it for it later. an hour or two of rest if you can get it will buy you many many days of productive time *eat healthy foods *take turmeric pills to lower inflammation *eat pineapples to lower inflammation this is just my two cents. I am not a trained medical professional so the above is not medical advice. it's just my input to others as to what has helped me. Hopefully this bout of vertigo will go away on its own. Thank you again.

AN Right side 12 mm x 5 mm diagnosed 1/25/10.  Researching options.
REJ
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:48 PM

I was diagnosed in 2008 and had CK in 2011 . Just had MRI and looks like AN has gone from 11.8 X5mm to 8x5x5mm so that is good news for me. I have occasional vertigo symptoms but they are fleeting . Never when I am driving but after I stop and exit the car . It goes away in a few minutes but I usually have to touch something for the symptom to leave . My DR. says that is because my brain has not stopped moving . I believe that my side effects have been minimized because I am on a low dose of steroids for another problem . I feel good about my choice of CK and lead a fairly normal life . Hang in there . REJ
RJ

Jump to different Forum...