Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Schwannoma on Sciatic Nerve
PSPJIM
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 11:28 AM

I am a 66 year old male and I have a benign tumor on my sciatic nerve. I have had unsuccessful  robotic surgery to debulk the tumor and later actual surgery to remove bits and pieces along with scar tissue.  The nerve affected is S1, both surgeries were done at City of Hope. I believe the tumor has started to grow based on the pain and will have a new MRI this week.
I'm wondering if Cyberknife could destroy this benign tumor without damaging the sciatic nerve.
I am told they cannot do another surgery, the last one was 9 hours and was done by a brain surgeon, there are apparently no other cases of a tumor in this location, just in front of the sciatic notch.

Jump to different Forum...