Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Change in semen since CK
kslmd
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:19 AM

I completed my CK treatment for Gleason 6 PCA about two months ago. Experienced some mild acute side-effects including some dysuria and proctitis but these have all but resolved. However, I have noticed that my semen is now very watery and clear, though the volume of ejaculate has not decreased and may even have increased a little. No problems with erectile dysfunction thus far. I am 55 years old. Haven't yet had my first post treatment PSA. Any thoughts?
Allen_E.
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 3:42 PM

You're very lucky to continue to ejaculate. Radiation can reduce output from the seminal vesicles and prostate. The clear fluid is probably from the Cowper's gland. - Allen
- Allen (not an MD)
kslmd
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:46 AM

Thanks Allen for the reply. But I don't think the Cowper's gland produces more than a few drops of semen. As I said, the volume of my semen hasn't decreased at all. So I am a little worried that the radiation dose was insufficient. I opted to have the CK treatments every other day over two weeks instead of five straight days because I read a study suggesting fewer acute side effects with every other day treatments. I hope that didn't make the treatment less effective.
Allen_E.
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 3:36 PM

Not a concern. I had mine every other day, as did most guys on this site. Some guys continue to produce semen, some less, some none. It often diminishes over time. No correlation with effectiveness. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy!
- Allen (not an MD)
viperfred
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 3:29 AM

Hi kslmd, Post CK 5-7-2008., almost 8 years, initially biological function seemed normal and gradually changed (in volume, rheology, and odor.) with time. The changes were so gradual they were unnoticed. Volume reduces with time, rheology changes from wall paper paste to latte with little milk, and the odor is undetectable. Keep using the biological function, only the output changes. My protocol was 5 days over two weeks.
kslmd
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 1:02 PM

Thanks guys...great feedback. I feel more comfortable knowing that others have had a similar experience.
wmc3
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:09 PM

I agree with the other posts too. I'm 11 months out and have had the same experience as you. Immediate change in semen to clear, watery, odorless fluid. Approximately same volume as before. And that has remained generally the same with me over time so far. Also, my treatment was the 5 consecutive days protocol and we're still describing similar consequences, so I wouldn't worry about that. Mac Dx 2010, G6, 1 of 12 cores, 5-10%, 2.3 PSA. Active Surveillance 2010-2014; biopsies showing no change. Jan 2015 biopsy: 3 of 12 cores, Gleason 3+4, 10-15%, 2.5 PSA. SBRT in May, 2015. Quarterly PSAs 1.5, 2.3, 1.9. Age 61.

Jump to different Forum...