Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
Actual CK treatment time vs. as estimated by the software?
dalemccl
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 1:51 PM

I just finished 5 CK treatments for an acoustic neuroma that measured 2.0 cm x 1.3 cm on the MRI that was done for treatment planning a few days before the treatments started. (a 3rd dimension was not specified on the radiologist's report). Before the 1st treatment started I asked the CK technician how long the treatment will last. She said the software says 40 minutes. From the time she told me on the intercom that everything was lined up and the treatment was starting, until the time she told me it was done, seemed like less than 40 minutes to me. I mentioned that to her and she said it ended up only taking 30 minutes. The remaining 4 treatments also took 30 minutes. I would think the software could pretty accurately predict the time, given that it knows how many beams to shoot (137 in my case), the angles and the movements it has to make. What could account for it only taking 30 minutes instead of the estimated 40? I'm probably being paranoid, but 30 minutes seems like a little short compared to what I have seen others write about their treatment times. Is 30 minutes per treatment reasonable for a 2.0 cm x 1.3 cm AN? (I hope that was enough to stop the tumor growth.) Thanks.
dalemccl
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:05 PM

sorry for the duplicate post. I thought it didn't work the first time I submitted it

Jump to different Forum...