Patient Forum

The CyberKnife Patient Forum is designed to provide a place for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, their family and friends, to exchange useful information and provide support to one another. The Forum may also help people find answers to questions they have about the CyberKnife treatment experience. Accuray strives to facilitate these exchanges and encourage discussions. Recently we have experienced some aggressive or inappropriate spam postings. We are diligently working to resolve this issue and thank you in advance for your patience.

Birgit Fleurent, Chief Marketing Officer, Accuray Incorporated

Print 
CyberKnife "M6" System
Mitch4
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 2:26 PM

Is the M6 System, the latest CyberKnife "technology"? Have there been other older sytems? If so, what are the system differences. If I decide on CyberKnife, I want to make sure that the latest - most up date system is used.
Mitch
radsrus
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 2:42 PM

Accuray was faced with a marketing problem, namely the fact that the CK was a relatively slow way to treat patients. The average IMRT patient is treated in about 10-15 minutes, while the original CK could take an hour or more. The solution was to enable the use of a multileaf collimator which could be chosen instead of either fixed collimators or the Iris variable collimator. This does indeed allow for faster treatment, but it does not result in BETTER treatment. You should remember that the 100% control rates for low-risk patients that has been reported was mostly with fixed collimators. The M6, if available near you, might allow faster treatment, but it is not worth traveling to get it since it is no better. The newest technology may not always be a BETTER technology. The CK machines that were being sold in the early 2000's featured a mechanical accuracy of 0.3 mm. Hard to beat.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D. Southwest Radiation Oncology buddy@swrads.org
Raj6927
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 5:12 AM

Hi ,how are the gold beads planted in the prostrate ! This part has not been spoken by anyone

Hi this Raj
JAV
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 4:37 PM

I understand this is a late response, I've been off the Forum for awhile. But it may be useful to someone, at some time. When I was treated back in 2011, each session lasted 45 minutes, after I got on the table. Raj : One technique is for the "fiducials" to be placed as basically placed like a reverse biopsy. A US probe and needle is used. They are inserted through the rectum into the prostate. Doesn't hurt much - I believe lidocaine is used. There is some bleeding, but it doesn't last long. The urologist that my CK Center sent me to in the nearby medical office building ordered an x-ray to verify he placed them properly. And he gave me an antibiotic, to be on the safe side.
Another technique is for them to be placed with a needle through the perineum. I believe this is how it's done at Dr. Katz's Clinic. Lots of lidocaine is used.
Treated with CK 4-2011.  Gleason of 3+4 , PSA 3.7 , two cores positive, 5% & 12%
 PSA on 7-13 0.3  PSA on 11-13 0.3PSA on 5-14   0.3   PSA on 7-14   0.2 PSA on 11-14  0.2 PSA on 3-15 0.2 PSA on 7-15, 0.2 PSA on 7-17 0.1 PSA on 1-18 0.13

Jump to different Forum...